Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Glide Primary Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-Glide Primary Question

I did a little searching a found good info, but nothing touring specific. My problem is my Primary is leaking from the gasket, I figure it just needs replacing. Since the bike is "new" to me, I was going to let HD dealer do a 20K service, but they can't get to me for 2 weeks. In the mean time, my primary is roaring pretty good in turns and up or down hills. My guess is, it's low on fluid and not picking up enough in these conditions. While I wait, what type of fluid should I top it off with? Where is the best place to fill it? Thx!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Default RE: E-Glide Primary Question

Looks like I may have asked a stupid question? [&:]

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
sf657
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any 10-40 will work. Fill it thru the derby cover(the big round one) up to just above the bottom of the clutch. But you should pull the cover and check everything out. Like your chain tension and then put a new gasket on . You probably can do it yourself. If you haven't already, buy a service manual and that can be the last 60 bucks you have to give to the dealer. At the very least add some oil before you need a new clutch. They're not cheap.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
sf657
Advanced

There are no stupid questions. And if there are, I asked them before you did.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Road Head
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sf657

Any 10-40 will work. Fill it thru the derby cover(the big round one) up to just above the bottom of the clutch. But you should pull the cover and check everything out. Like your chain tension and then put a new gasket on . You probably can do it yourself. If you haven't already, buy a service manual and that can be the last 60 bucks you have to give to the dealer. At the very least add some oil before you need a new clutch. They're not cheap.
So the primary uses motor oil, not gear oil? There is a dipstick in front of the oil check, can you not add a little there?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dipstick is for the trany, not the primary. There are three seperate places for oil. Engine, transmission, and primary. You can put 20 50 motor oil in all three. Check your manual .

Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Road Head
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mariner227

The dipstick is for the trany, not the primary. There are three seperate places for oil. Engine, transmission, and primary. You can put 20 50 motor oil in all three. Check your manual .
This is more complicated than I thought. I've built entire Jeeps before with less confusion. Maybe I'm way off on what is actually make the "roaring" sound. It only roars in curves or on inclines and the bike has a noticable vibration. Level ground and lower temps its fine. Also the fluid leaking out doesn't smell like oil. Any ideas?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is more complicated than I thought. I've built entire Jeeps before with less confusion.
No different from your Jeeps, really. Didn't they have a different fill location for the engine, transmission and differential fluids? Pretty much the same for your motorcycle.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

You can buy your SM on eBay like I did. Save a few bucks. Pick up the gasket at the HD store and drain your primary, plug underneath the derby cover. Filler up with 38 oz 20-50 Amsoil and be done with it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Road Head
Road Master

Well it wasn't the primary. Primary is full, so I just retightened the bolts and it leaks no more. However, the sound, this "roaring" noise is still present. It sound likes its coming from the frontend and there is a vibration along with it. Any ideas? Wheel bearing, rotors warped....[&:]

Quick Reply: E-Glide Primary Question