Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road Glide HD lights suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
h_dmagic1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked with surdyke and part # 68995-01 is no longer available. However, the rep who was very helpful, said there are replacement parts 70423-98 wiring harness and 73244-09 head lamp assembly this part has the HDI indicator which I was told meant international. Does this sound right?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Really! I think mine lights up better than my FatBoy did w/the single headleamp and highway lights. When I changed my speakers, whilst I was in theree, I changed out my bulbs with two Sylvania Ultra White bulbs (WOW! )! Very Very Bright. I was riding East on I-64, pitch black in Illinois a couple of weeks ago. Pulled up next to a new Ford Superduty. My two lights with the Sylvanias were throwing off more light than the trucks two head lights and running lights...

Oh, and it was a cheap quick upgrade too!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by h_dmagic1
Just checked with surdyke and part # 68995-01 is no longer available. However, the rep who was very helpful, said there are replacement parts 70423-98 wiring harness and 73244-09 head lamp assembly this part has the HDI indicator which I was told meant international. Does this sound right?
I have been researching this also. I have found a 68995-01 at a dealer. I have been told the 73244-09 is a left dip assembly and we need a right dip. I found the discontinued 01 part before I could find out if it was correct or not?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by thealien
I have been researching this also. I have found a 68995-01 at a dealer.

I'd snap it up now.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
thealien
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Beemervet
I'd snap it up now.
Already in my hands. I am waiting on the hardened lamp assy as found on the 2009 SERG with the black bezel to see if I can adapt the hardened assy to the International assembly?!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

But then you won't have the Euro lamps..................

Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
thealien
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Beemervet
But then you won't have the Euro lamps..................
Yes I will. The reflector is the euro spec part, then there is the black plastic housing which is the same except the euro one has a small third light, and finally they both have a plastic lens. They are the exact same plastic lens on my stock 2000 road glide USA spec light and the 68995-01 euro spec light. I don't have the hardened lens in my hand but I am hoping I can fit it to my euro spec assembly while still keeping the euro spec reflector.

The 2009 SERG headlight assembly allows you to change the lamps (H4s) without removing the fairing. I have seen one up close and the hardened lens looks similar to our plastic lens. I could not see how it is all put together as the black SERG bezel was installed. I don't think the guy would like me popping it off to satisfy my curiosity. On the 2000 and 2001 Assembly's everything is screwed together from the rear. The screws go through the black plastic, then the reflector, and finally screws into the lens. Since the SERG (and all 2009 road glides I think) are able to service the H4 lamps without removing the fairing so I have to assume the hardened lens screws from the front instead of the back?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Reuse your lamp housing, unless you like the little light. '98-'08 lamps are one piece. The lens is cemented to the reflector. Unless you do some surgery, you will have to choose, Euro reflectors or hardened lenses.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by thealien
The screws go through the black plastic, then the reflector, and finally screws into the lens.
The screws go through the reflector/lens assembly, and into the black housing.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM
thealien
Road Captain

I just went out and tried seperating the plastic lens from the reflector after removing the screws and you are right about them being cemented or glued. I could get a screwdriver between and could get some movement but I didn't want to risk breaking one of the last euro spec assemblies I could find.

I am still interested in seeing if there is a way to adapt the hardened lens to the old assembly? Or better yet is there a 2009 right dip euro spec assembly? When I swap assemblies I may try dissassembling my original assembly so I don't risk ruining the euro spec housing. If nothing else it would be nice to have a set of replacement lenses in case a rock or something dammages the assembly I have?

I have never been 100% happy with the road glide lighting and am hoping my upgrade will be an inprovement but I am a curious kind of guy and want to know whats next!

Quick Reply: 08 Road Glide HD lights suck