Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have the need for speed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the need for speed!

I really enjoyed reading "Speed limiter at 105 mph?". I would want to bet most of the safety concious are old enoughto blow dust when they fart! And the ones that like to get a quick shot of adrenalin like me hit the top end now and again might be a little younger? Let us keep in mind that motorcycle riding is unsafe at any speed.For myself I lean towards the safe and prudent. Usually it is me, my girl and a few of my friends. We obey the traffic laws and have a good time. But, after a few hundred miles we stumble upon a open road, long smooth and straight. It usually starts when welook at each other to see who is going to make the first move AND THEIR OFF! We all know we do not run our dressers like that all the time. That is why it is called a touring bike. I have 95k on myFLH and I don't think I put the 103 kit in it to maintain 5 over the speed limit on the highway only.Let us see how long it takes this pot to boil!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts
Default RE: I have the need for speed!

Out here in Nevada this 62 year old fart likes to do
110 now and then. It takes some of the young
guns a few miles to catch up.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 AM
up2nogood22
Cruiser

It's not an age thing. I haul *** most places I go.

Speed does not equal unsafe.

Ride the speed you can handle and the speed you enjoy.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

This ole boy runs her to the throttle stop quite often.It's not the speed so much as it is the rate of accelleration that I enjoy.Biking is a safe sport!!! It's the idiots around us that make it more of a challenge.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:47 AM
piggy
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

68 years old, and i can NOT RIDE ALONG THE OCEAN< without topping out the speedometer. doesn't make us bad people. LONG ISLAND NY,[sm=GrowUp.gif]<<< ME< NEVER

Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

EVRY ONCE IN A WHILE YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE........

YOU BLOW ALL THE CARBON OUT.
CHECK THE THROTTLE STOPS
TIRE VIBRATION AND BALANCE
GET AWAY FROM THE IDIOT TAILGATING
WANT TO MAKE SOME NOISE
WANT TO MAKE MORE NOISE FADING INTO THE DISTANCE
STARTING TO FEEL HOT SO NEED A GOOD BREEZE

Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: FXSTDSE2

I really enjoyed reading "Speed limiter at 105 mph?". I would want to bet most of the safety concious are old enoughto blow dust when they fart! And the ones that like to get a quick shot of adrenalin like me hit the top end now and again might be a little younger? Let us keep in mind that motorcycle riding is unsafe at any speed.For myself I lean towards the safe and prudent. Usually it is me, my girl and a few of my friends. We obey the traffic laws and have a good time. But, after a few hundred miles we stumble upon a open road, long smooth and straight. It usually starts when welook at each other to see who is going to make the first move AND THEIR OFF! We all know we do not run our dressers like that all the time. That is why it is called a touring bike. I have 95k on myFLH and I don't think I put the 103 kit in it to maintain 5 over the speed limit on the highway only.Let us see how long it takes this pot to boil!
Alright, I'll stir the pot, even though I agree and I'm gettin' pretty damn old. I like to go fast once in a while, everyone does. I'm ok with doing it safely, but in your post, here is where I think you went astray. First off, many of us old farts do blow dust, but some of you young punks will have to suck it up while you're behind us. Ok, now to pick. "Let us keep in mind that motorcycle riding is unsafe at any speed". No one will argue that, but don't you believe 65 is safer than 105? "Usually it is me, my girl and a few of my friends". Now there are more people involved, increasing the odds for disaster and peer pressuring someone who may not be comfortable with going very fast. When you say your girl, is she on the back? If something went wrong, what control of her destiny does she have? You have her life in your hands and if something happened, how would you feel then? Have a lot of friends who have had things like this happen, it doesn't sit easily inside. So, that's all I have to say, we're all grown ups and as long as we don't endanger or hurt others, what happens, happens. The point is, us your head and keep the statistics low ..........

Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 AM
srf506
Advanced

Not me! I've only been riding about 10 years total. Never really had a desire to ride. I always raced SCCA sports cars for my adrenaline rush. Racing was to replace flying F-4s in the USAF for 11 years. When it was finally time to put the racing aside I wanted something else to do. Already have a sailboat so didn't need another one of those, my wife had always ridden with her friends growing up. We wentto Orlando HD during a Bike Week event to see Little Feat. Of course started looking at the bikesand I said if we were going to do this we'd better do it before I couldn't throw my leg over the saddle. Bought a Softail. Great bike 1-up. pretty lousy two-up which is how I ride 99% of the time. So, traded up to the UC. Lot more comfortable to take those little day trips on. I don't want to go fast. I stay off the interstates. I think I've gone 10 mph once or twice on the bike and it was to pass a car. I'm usually 5 mph below the speed limit unless I'm going to impede traffic on a 2-lane road. Then I go the speed limit and pull to the right to let 'em by. I like seeing the scenerary, just turning down a small rural road and seeing where it goes. I'm rewarded by finding lakes and ponds I didn't know exist, seeing owls, eagles, hawks, bears, deer, and the occasional fox. I only ride with a few trusted and close friends and we're of like mind. We find a little diner or resturant, have a good lunch, and ramble back home. We look for events around the Central Florida area, like the antique wooden boat races in Tavares, or a hot rod show in Mt. Dora. We try to never take the same route twice. We normally do about a 125 -150 miles on one of these "adventures" and it takes almost all day Saturday or Sunday. Each to his own, but that's what biking is for me. A tool for relaxation. If I wanted to go fast I'd get back in a race car.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blow out the carbon occasionally (a "road test") on a long stretch of road, with no traffic present and lots of visibility.

Going fast does expose problems that you would not normally notice riding slower.

That's a part of my personal road testing.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

Speed and Tourer just don't go together. If I wanted to haul *** every where I went I bought the wrong motorcycle as a sport bike would be better suited.

I am totally happy sitting back and enjoying the ride at the posted speed limit.

Quick Reply: I have the need for speed!