Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:23 PM
Kawboy40
|
Advanced
Default A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

I have a question for those of you who traded (literally) up to a bagger. I purchased my '07 FXDB from my local dealer new this time last year. I originally paid $13.5K for it and was happy with that since it was a bit under MSRP.

Well I'd like to trade up to a bagger so I thought I'd run it by my salesman to see where I stand. He advised me that they'd give me $8.5K on my completely stock '07 FXDB (w/2,500 miles) on trade in towards a new bagger.

Now I know the way it goes. I know the market isn't in the best of shape right now, and I know I was going to take a big hit on trade in, especially the first year. But I was really taken back when I learned that the hit would be $5K.

Hell at that amount of a loss it'd be worth it just to keep the FXDB andswing a 2nd bike payment. However I've also read here that those of you who own another Harley rarely ride their old Dyna, Softtail, or Sporty once you've added a bagger to the stable, lol.

Oh yeah, back to my question. How much of a hit did you take on trade in?Does $5K sound like a pretty standard loss?

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:28 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

Unfortunately, that kind of loss is common these days. The economic climate has most dealers discounting new bikes in order to get them out the door, which means their margins are lower than what they are used to. So the trade-in values are taking a hit too. If you have the patience, you can probably swing a couple more thousand dollars with a private sale. Depends on how quickly you want to make the trade.

Your mention of being able to handle a second payment might indicate that you can purchase the bagger and sell the existing bike if you can take a month or so to move it.

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:34 PM
Canip529
Stage III

Itraded up to a08SGfrom a 2000 duece. Dealership originally offered me 9K for trade in but i ended up selling to a private seller for 11K with 26000 miles on it. I try selling itprivatefirst and if that doesnt workgo for a little moreon trade in.

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:46 PM
sweetwil23
Cruiser

i traded my 2000 duece with 14000miles for a new 07 SG last june and got $10750 for it. i bought it in 04', for $14000. i figured i paid alittle over $1000 a year to lease it(my way to justify it being ok to buy a $20000 bike. $5k sounds big to me. how many dealers are by you, fortunatly here in MI there are a bunch, lucky for me i went to the one close to the house with a mindset that i didnt want to go under $11000 for it, but $250 less was well worth the trade. Love the new SG. good luck

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:56 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

it is only money,,go trade it you will be so happy you did!!!!!

Old 05-31-2008 | 04:00 PM
dcc46
Tourer

i traded in my 06 fatboy almost 2 years to the day from when i bought it. i only got back 12k, so about a 5k loss. if you can swing 2 bike payments , i'd hang on to your present bike and sell it at your leisure if you dont ride it. oh and within 30 mins of leaving the dealership i knew i made the right move.

Old 05-31-2008 | 04:28 PM
Capt Jim
Cruiser

I tried the trade also, they wanted 9K, so sold my slightly used softail and bought a slightly used ultra, 3.5K diff. Dealer lost two sales and I've got more change. H. I only asked for another 1K off the deal and they wouldn't budge.

Old 05-31-2008 | 04:32 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Put it on e-bay with a reserve of $9500 and see what happens. You can definitely get more than $8500 for it.

Old 05-31-2008 | 04:35 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

If you sell it private for a bit more money can you fork over the diff to pay it off? If so then do it that way, otherwise with the dealer at least you can finance the whole ball of wax.

Old 05-31-2008 | 05:09 PM
Panomine
Intermediate

I must be lucky! I just traded an '07 SuperGlide in on an '08 RoadGlide. We got $11k for the SuperGlide, with 5k miles on it AND a wore-out back tire!!!

Quick Reply: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.