Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 02:40 PM
Rem
Cruiser
Default RE: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

everyone's situation is different, but i kept my old softail when i got a new ultra. i commute in all kinds of weather 21 miles one way on the ultra but when it comes to summer enjoyment it's me and the softail ("remember your first softail?", but i digress)

wouldn't tradethe old softail for anything, and i really like the ultra (now that i've got the seat and bars right). this morning when it was 73 degrees at 7am it was nice to still have the fxst.

Old 06-03-2008 | 05:51 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell, keep your current bike and buy a used bagger ... that's what I did. Seems to me that you can always find a clean low mileage touring bike that someone needs to sell. If a year from now you're not ridingboth then sellthe other oncethe market turns around, which it will, and you won't be kicking yourself in the *** because you gave your bike away. Now that's a plan !!

Old 06-03-2008 | 06:12 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Adding to what I just wrote: This is simple economics. When it is a buyers market you buy, and in a sellers market you sell. Assuming that you can hold on to what you have, I would buy now and sell later. Just hate to see people lose $$$$ when it is avoidable.

Old 06-04-2008 | 12:22 PM
gmc
Road Warrior

Paco ritter has the right idea and buy a good used 07 or 08 and let someone else take the hit also. Bought my 07 FLHTC 103"Stage II with Rhienhart true duals, race tuner, lots of extra chrome for $17,500. Saved over $7000. There are deals out there. Personally the new 6 gal. tank and seat don't do much for me but there is a seat for every a$$.

Old 06-04-2008 | 12:33 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Got about $8,000 for my '93 FLSTF. Had cam , S&S carb, custom wheels, apes....... loved that motorcycle. I still miss it to this day. I traded up to a new '07 FLHTC and I really love this bike too!!!

Old 06-04-2008 | 06:33 PM
SuperDave281
Novice

ORIGINAL: Kawboy40

I have a question for those of you who traded (literally) up to a bagger. I purchased my '07 FXDB from my local dealer new this time last year. I originally paid $13.5K for it and was happy with that since it was a bit under MSRP.

Well I'd like to trade up to a bagger so I thought I'd run it by my salesman to see where I stand. He advised me that they'd give me $8.5K on my completely stock '07 FXDB (w/2,500 miles) on trade in towards a new bagger.

Now I know the way it goes. I know the market isn't in the best of shape right now, and I know I was going to take a big hit on trade in, especially the first year. But I was really taken back when I learned that the hit would be $5K.

Hell at that amount of a loss it'd be worth it just to keep the FXDB and&nbsp\\;swing a 2nd bike payment. However I've also read here that those of you who own another Harley rarely ride their old Dyna, Softtail, or Sporty once you've added a bagger to the stable, lol. &nbsp\\;

Oh yeah, back to my question. How much of a hit did you take on trade in?&nbsp\\;Does $5K sound like a pretty standard loss?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Try posting on Craigslist.&nbsp\\; This time of year bikes are getting top dollar.

Old 06-05-2008 | 09:22 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I

One thing to consider when deciding to trade or sell outright is the sales tax issue. When you trade a bike in, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the cost of the new bike and the trade-in value of your old bike. In the case of my trade, after the $15500 trade-in was subtracted from the cost of my new Electra Glide, I only had to pay the 6% PA sales tax on around $3000 which saved me over $1000 in sales tax. This means that if I had decided to sell my Fat Boy myself, I would have had to have sold it for at least $16500 just to equal the deal I got from the dealer. Keep this factor in mind if you decide to go the private sale route. [\\]

+1

Not to mention all the jerkoffs who will be "right over to look at the bike" but never show up after you wait around for them all day.

Old 06-05-2008 | 07:25 PM
rbickford
Cruiser

My wife and I bought a used 2006 Lowrider from a dealer for $15,500 and decided really fast that this was not going to meet our needs especially two up.&nbsp\\; Less than two weeks later, I went back to the same dealer Appalachian HD in Mechanicsburg, PA and asked if would give me some or all of the credit for what I paid if I bought a brand new Ultra EG.&nbsp\\; They not only wouldn't give me anything close to what I paid, they wouldn't even give me a number for the trade.&nbsp\\; In other words, they just walked away from a $24,000 sale.&nbsp\\; I still don't get it.&nbsp\\; Went to Winebrenners, a used Harley shop in Hanover, PA and they were talking $10,000 at the most.&nbsp\\; I wound up at Susquehanna Valley in Harrisburg and they gave me close to $13,000.&nbsp\\; Still I had to take a $2,500 hit, but I saved the Sales Tax on the Trade amount, so that saved me another $780, so that wasn't too bad.&nbsp\\; Shop around!!&nbsp\\; All dealers are not alike.

Old 06-05-2008 | 07:29 PM
rbickford
Cruiser

One more point.&nbsp\\; Selling on eBay can work out too.&nbsp\\; I bought a Triumph Rocket III for $11,000 at a dealership and sold it six months later to buy my Ultra EG on ebay for $12,000.&nbsp\\; Just make sure you take all the precautions, requiring a Paypal deposit and don't accept bids from newbies.&nbsp\\; I sold my Lincoln Navagator on ebay also and it worked out great!

Old 06-05-2008 | 08:12 PM
dowork08
Tourer

try to sell it out right first.....but usually for me it never works so i end up trading them in....try to shop around also

Quick Reply: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.