Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:26 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

The facts of life can be painfull at times.The longer you keep a Harley the more valuable it becomes in a private sale,never to a dealer.

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:32 AM
wah45
Advanced

For what it's worth, check Kelly Blue book and you'll be shocked between avgerage trade in and average retail. For a 06 Ultra it's approximately 5,000. Sell it yourself and try to make up some of the difference. I've had friends trade in and got lowballed. They go back to dealers and see their old bike on the floor marked up 5000 or 6,000 than what they traded it for. Pick a price in between that's better than the dealer and average retail.

Old 06-02-2008 | 07:42 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Kawboy40

I have a question for those of you who traded (literally) up to a bagger. I purchased my '07 FXDB from my local dealer new this time last year. I originally paid $13.5K for it and was happy with that since it was a bit under MSRP.

Well I'd like to trade up to a bagger so I thought I'd run it by my salesman to see where I stand. He advised me that they'd give me $8.5K on my completely stock '07 FXDB (w/2,500 miles) on trade in towards a new bagger.

Now I know the way it goes. I know the market isn't in the best of shape right now, and I know I was going to take a big hit on trade in, especially the first year. But I was really taken back when I learned that the hit would be $5K.

Hell at that amount of a loss it'd be worth it just to keep the FXDB andswing a 2nd bike payment. However I've also read here that those of you who own another Harley rarely ride their old Dyna, Softtail, or Sporty once you've added a bagger to the stable, lol.

Oh yeah, back to my question. How much of a hit did you take on trade in?Does $5K sound like a pretty standard loss?
I've always sold mine privately or gave it to the dealer to sell on consignment. I'll never trade a bike/car in and takethe hit so they can make a profit.

Old 06-02-2008 | 10:09 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Spring isn't the best time to buy a motorcycle. Ask him again in November. Or you can do what I did--buy your new bike without a trade and find an independent who will sell your old bike on consignment for you. A local shop that gets LOTS of traffic put my bike in his showroom and it sold pretty fast. Since they make $$ when it sells (I paid him $500 commission) they will work to sell it for you.

Old 06-02-2008 | 09:56 PM
dbuff
Advanced

I must have been lucky also, traded an 05 Night Train with 20000 miiles on it for an 07 Street Glide a year ago and got 12000 for the NT

Old 06-03-2008 | 08:00 AM
dragonx
Tourer

Went to trade in my 07 CVO Dyna at the original purchasing dealer and they had the nerve to offer me $18.5 K less than a year after i paid $25K and the bike only had 800 miles on it. Pi$$ed me off so I went less than 50 miiles down the road and that dealer game me $21.5K for my bike so away I rode on my new Ultra end of story. I still lost $3,500 but I love, love, love my new Ultra and have never regretted it. Needless to say my original dealer was a little dismayed when I pulled up on my new Ultra wearing my new T shirt from the other dealer, I had to bite my lip not to tell everyone there that they could save money elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2008 | 08:25 AM
Kaiser Sose
Advanced

I'm with the majority on this...private sale, or consignment.
Just for ***** 'n giggles, see what kinda deal your wife could get.
I've heard of that tactic working...just ask a pimp.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:02 AM
Hogtoad
Cruiser

I purchased a 07' ultra and asked what they would give me for a 2000 Deuce, about the same not much. They did offer to sell it for me at my price for 500.00. It worked out well got 12,900 in my pocket for it.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:43 AM
SBOTI
5th Gear

Sold my 02 SFXSTI for $13G just before my last deployment. While I was gone, I ordered an 08 RG. Looked at trading it in, before I left but wouldn't get anything near what others had offered so I sold it 3 days before I left to a private buyer. Ordered my RG and picked it up 5 days after I got back and have been loving it ever since!

My $.02, sell it privately and use the cash as a down payment on the bagger!

Old 06-03-2008 | 01:47 PM
TXPOPEYE
Tourer

I didnt get hurt on mine but I traded a 2004 Honda VTX1300c with 14000 miles on it and got 4500 for it. I only paid 6k for it used so a 1500 hit for a bike I put 10k miles on is not bad at all.

You can talk about how much more you can sell a HD for used then a Honda but when you pay twice as much to start you should be able to get more out at the end.

Quick Reply: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.