Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:07 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

ORIGINAL: big_al

it is only money,,go trade it you will be so happy you did!!!!!
Just do it! I have put my lowrider for sale so I can get a SG!

I tried the SG and I decided to have one!

Old 06-01-2008 | 02:50 PM
Kawboy40
|
Advanced

Thanks guys for all theshared experiences and opinions. You know I don't have my first car and I don't have my first bike, but it's really nice to say that I still my first Harley.

So I decided (for now anyway, lol) that I'm going to hang on to my Street Bob, sell my ZX-7RR and maybe one of my sleds (anyone looking for a clean, low mileage '06 Firecat?), and try to swing a late season deal on a new bagger.

Then if I end up neglecting the Bob I can always sell it at a later date. Sure the Mrs. might get miff'd short term. Hell I don't hunt, fish, golf, drink, smoke, or chew, but when she meet me I had a couple of street bikes, and I pretty much have ever since. So what the difference to if those street bikes are a couple of Harleys?

Besides I like to live by the motto "That it's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission" , lol. And if I came home with a RKC, her favorite model, I don't think she'd be mad for too long.

Ride safe guys,

Eddie

Old 06-01-2008 | 04:19 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

ifin she gets heated just pop her behind up behind you and take her for a 300mile ride, that should put an end to any gripein.....

Old 06-01-2008 | 04:44 PM
Lt James
Tourer

I traded in a 2005 Screamin' Eagle V-Rod for an 08 SG, and took about a $2.5k loss in the deal, not as bad as some others, but didn't make me smile at the time.

Course, riding around the last few days has remedied that quite well. Nothing quite like riding a bagger I have to say. And 2 bikes ago I was riding a supersport like you, I owned a 98 ZX9

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:02 PM
izzi
Road Master

i took a beating trading my street bob on a street glide. i received 2 t shirts with the trade, for soaking up the blood .the shirts would not wipe the grin off.
i have no regrets..[sm=icon_rock.gif] if i would have kept the bob , i can't see where i would have rather ridden it ,vs the SG .thats just me though.....
mike

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:02 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

I paid $7500 for my sportster two years ago with 500 miles on it, then put 11,000 miles on it. I striped it down and ebay some of the extra parts for $800. I then traded it bone stock for $6,000 with the tax credit. My loss was about $2000 but that is just the cost of running miles.I have had my SG for two months and it has 2,000 miles and is my daily driver.

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:35 PM
Rush0608
Cruiser

I took a big hit trading up to my King, but it was well worth the money. I know for a fact I can ride as far as I want, with or without cruise, and have done 2k miles in three days. That was not even thinkable with the last bike.

Old 06-02-2008 | 12:16 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

Definitely a emotional decision also a matter of convenience. Thought about having two bikes but my motto is simplicity and I really like my new RG.

Old 06-02-2008 | 12:50 AM
Bobberino
Road Master

Well, I had a street bob and did a bunch of work to it. It was nice, then decided to sell it. I kno wtrade in wouldve been out of the question due to they wouldnt care what pipes I threw on or what wheels I spend x amount of cash on. So I threw it on Cycle Trader. asked for 19 and got 18. I lost about 5 but it worked out well. Got the bike I shoulda got in the first place.

Old 06-02-2008 | 05:05 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

I shopped around at several H-D dealerships and finally found one that gave me a decent price for my '07 Fat Boy when I traded it in on the '08 Electra Glide last December. All the other dealers immediately grabbed the NADA book and quoted the then current value of the Fat Boy which was around $13500 (I had paid around 18K for it in October 2006). Anyway, I ended up getting $15500 for my Fattie which was $2500 less than I'd paid for it, but considering I would have lost $4500 if I'd dealt with any of the other dealers I'd checked with, I felt good about the trade.

I now have a few thousand miles on the Electra Glide and couldn't be happier with it.

One thing to consider when deciding to trade or sell outright is the sales tax issue. When you trade a bike in, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the cost of the new bike and the trade-in value of your old bike. In the case of my trade, after the $15500 trade-in was subtracted from the cost of my new Electra Glide, I only had to pay the 6% PA sales tax on around $3000 which saved me over $1000 in sales tax. This means that if I had decided to sell my Fat Boy myself, I would have had to have sold it for at least $16500 just to equal the deal I got from the dealer. Keep this factor in mind if you decide to go the private sale route.

Quick Reply: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.