Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:10 PM
rmouse
Advanced
Default RE: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.

I would pass on the deal, I sold my 1999 Dyna last year for $9,000 and then purchased my 08 Road King. Your dealer will sell your bike for at least $2,000 more than they give you for it, you might as well put that extra cash in your pocket.

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:21 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rmouse

I would pass on the deal, I sold my 1999 Dyna last year for $9,000 and then purchased my 08 Road King. Your dealer will sell your bike for at least $2,000 more than they give you for it, you might as well put that extra cash in your pocket.
That's the heart of the matter,dealer has to make a profit on your bike or it's not worth doing for them.
Look into selling yours first but also consider what more you may pay in sales tax.
If it's like here in Washington you don't pay tax on the trade in alotment,only the cash.
Sometimes that takes some of the sting out of the hit but you'll need to do the math.
$5K is a pretty big hit,if you call sell yours for enough money first then it's likely your best bet.

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:26 PM
glidepride
Advanced

Heck, go private or another dealer if you can. If you can swing two payments then sit and wait. I got $8500 for a Suzuki Boulevard when I traded for my 07 SG. I know times are rough for HD but they have a bit more money than most of us on this forum. One thing for sure, you will love the SG. I have no idea why I even left HD at all! Maybe it was that year I had too much to drink!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/36123/A9A7CC4A2EE243F2A245B30D371E4F49.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36123/A21717283F184DF18E92996DB31FAB8B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36123/B68FB06BC7A74DB09E5B1286A085339F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:31 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser

I made the sad mistake of putting way too much into an '03 Fatboy,over $40K, and yes, it is easy to do....My last effort on this highly customized Fatboy was to have a 103hp95 ci engine with all the Screamin' Eagle goodies, S&S gear drive cams, HTCC ported heads, V&H 2into1 ProPipe, SE 6speed trans, oil cooler, and much more, to the tune of over $9K at one time at my dealership. Some six months later I decided to trade up to a Ultra Classic....they offered me $8K trade in for this bike !!!! I sold it to a buddy for $20K, still a steal at that price for him, and boughtan '07UC used with 742 miles and lots of extras on it for $21K. I still lost a ton on the Fatboy, but I did manage 40K miles on it in 3 years, so I got a little out of it in return for all I put into it. I bought the UC at a deal less than a year old and still brand new before long before the '08's came out. Kinda helped me get over loosing my *** on the Fatboy.....PACO

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:32 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Trading anything is a CONVIENENCE for you, it's never going to be a money maker for you. It is ALWAYS better to sell anything outright. Even if it takes a few months to sell it. (Most states will refund your sales tax on the sale price of your first bike within 180 days too!) So you buy the new one, pay the sales tax license ect... sell your other one for AT LEAST 1,000 more than you were going to get trade.... then send in a form, and notorized sales reciept and get the sales tax refunded, and be happy.
That way you will only be paying tax on the difference like if you did trade.

Like the above said,,, they are in business to make money. Not give you great deals, and let you make out like a bandit on the trade.

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:04 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

You know what... get rid of the bike and bite the bullet. As long as you are making a good deal on the bike you want... It's just not worth the headache....

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:07 PM
brnew
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Kawboy40

I have a question for those of you who traded (literally) up to a bagger. I purchased my '07 FXDB from my local dealer new this time last year. I originally paid $13.5K for it and was happy with that since it was a bit under MSRP.

Well I'd like to trade up to a bagger so I thought I'd run it by my salesman to see where I stand. He advised me that they'd give me $8.5K on my completely stock '07 FXDB (w/2,500 miles) on trade in towards a new bagger.

Now I know the way it goes. I know the market isn't in the best of shape right now, and I know I was going to take a big hit on trade in, especially the first year. But I was really taken back when I learned that the hit would be $5K.

Hell at that amount of a loss it'd be worth it just to keep the FXDB andswing a 2nd bike payment. However I've also read here that those of you who own another Harley rarely ride their old Dyna, Softtail, or Sporty once you've added a bagger to the stable, lol.

Traded 07 Deluxe almost1yr to the day for 08 SG. Did I lose my Azz? YES !Looking back with remorse ? H*** NO ! Thebagger is everything I hoped for and much , much more. The Deluxe , I enjoyed a lot. The SG is altogether.................. Follow your instincts!

Oh yeah, back to my question. How much of a hit did you take on trade in?Does $5K sound like a pretty standard loss?
[IMG]local://upfiles/14158/730D10FB9FA947F0B73BC53FADDF268C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:12 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

In this market probably right... check the blue books, etc... you will be distressed. My advice is still the same... ride what you want as long as you can afford it. It's not worth the stress or the bother. One good twist of the throttle, one good ride... (as long as you have the bucks) and it's gone.

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:21 PM
brnew
Tourer

ORIGINAL: brnew

ORIGINAL: Kawboy40

I have a question for those of you who traded (literally) up to a bagger. I purchased my '07 FXDB from my local dealer new this time last year. I originally paid $13.5K for it and was happy with that since it was a bit under MSRP.

Well I'd like to trade up to a bagger so I thought I'd run it by my salesman to see where I stand. He advised me that they'd give me $8.5K on my completely stock '07 FXDB (w/2,500 miles) on trade in towards a new bagger.

Now I know the way it goes. I know the market isn't in the best of shape right now, and I know I was going to take a big hit on trade in, especially the first year. But I was really taken back when I learned that the hit would be $5K.

Hell at that amount of a loss it'd be worth it just to keep the FXDB andswing a 2nd bike payment. However I've also read here that those of you who own another Harley rarely ride their old Dyna, Softtail, or Sporty once you've added a bagger to the stable, lol.

Traded 07 Deluxe almost1yr to the day for 08 SG. Did I lose my Azz? YES !Looking back with remorse ? H*** NO ! Thebagger is everything I hoped for and much , much more. The Deluxe , I enjoyed a lot. The SG is altogether.................. Follow your instincts!

Oh yeah, back to my question. How much of a hit did you take on trade in?Does $5K sound like a pretty standard loss?
[IMG]local://upfiles/14158/730D10FB9FA947F0B73BC53FADDF268C.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/14158/BFF62960079C4401B4381E58D6C8B447.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14158/A56A997DC7E14176A4B623FA21A8DC30.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:22 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

If it helps... I lost 6 on my trade from the Kawai to the FLHRC and I was thrilled!

Quick Reply: A question for those of you who traded up to a bagger.