Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k&n air filter maintenance???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Default RE: k&n air filter maintenance???

50K is WAY too long to wait. 10-15K the filter is too dirty. You won't believe the dirt that comes off these things when the cleaner is sprayed on.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beemervet

50K is WAY too long to wait. 10-15K the filter is too dirty. You won't believe the dirt that comes off these things when the cleaner is sprayed on.
The people at K&N would dispute that. Remember, the key is to forget everything that "makes sense".

Never Replace Your Air Filter Again
Handmade in the USA and in the United Kingdom using only the finest materials, K&N OE Replacement Air Filters are washable and reusable. Regardless of what you’ve heard, it’s almost impossible to wash your K&N Air Filter too much. Inside our testing laboratory, we have washed and re-oiled one K&N Air Filter more than 100 times and it still performs up to specification. Depending on your driving conditions, we recommend cleaning your air filter every 50,000 miles. To clean and re-oil, purchase our filter
Recharger® service kit and follow the easy instructions.

Check out the K&N website for the full scoop.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

dude i bought my 06 ultra from put a stage 1 kit in it when he bought it. dealer tells me harley stage one kits come with k and n filters but the one on my bike says do not oil and it pretty much perfectly round. My 00 rk had the k nad noval filter. Have i got a k and n in the ultra?? It does hsya do not oil. Ideas??

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
FEAR
Tourer

50 IS WAY TOO LONG. I SPRAY THE CLEANER ON AND RUN WATER FROM THE INSIDE OUT TILL ITS CLEAN, SHOULD LOOK LIKE A GREY GYNM T-SHIRT. IF I HAVE TIME I LAY IT OUT IN THE SUN TO DRY, IF NOT A LITTLE BLOW FROM THE COMPRESSOR FROM THE INSIDE OUT TILL DRY AND THEN A LIGHT OILING

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

ORIGINAL: Beemervet

The people at K&N would dispute that. Remember, the key is to forget everything that "makes sense".
It's got nothing to do with making sense. I've used K&N filters in my bikes for almost thirty years, and way before 50K my filters would become dirty enough to affect the way the motor ran.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Strokah
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have K&N's on every vehicle I own, including the Harley's. Cleaning a filters is easy, and in my mind as important as changing oil and filter. I'm not going to dispute any comments from K&N, but it'll be a frosty Friday in hell before I wait longer than 5K miles to clean any one filter. The biggest X-factor is your driving condition. Half an hour on a dusty dirt road and my filter will get cleaned before I drive the vehicle again, period. At worst, its peace of mind.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Truman
Cruiser

I've been using Simple Green on K & N filters for years with outstanding results, just spray on from the inside out and go pretty heavy with it, let stand for 15 minutes, rinse throughly but don't blast with hose sprayer, shake out excess water and set in front of a fan....done.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 AM
xcelr8
Road Master

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truman

I've been using Simple Green on K & N filters for years with outstanding results, just spray on from the inside out and go pretty heavy with it, let stand for 15 minutes, rinse throughly but don't blast with hose sprayer, shake out excess water and set in front of a fan....done.
so what do u use for oil?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm doing mine right now, should be just about dry enough to oil. At 5K it was plenty dirty, I was surprised. I use the kit from Autozone.

Quick Reply: k&n air filter maintenance???