Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Backs Killing Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:01 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Default RE: My Backs Killing Me

I had the pain in the shoulders and swamp *** and tailbone pain with the stock seat on my Road King Classic. I tried a Mustang tour and it moved me to close to the tank. My buddy loaned me his Corbin Sturgis Special and my life was good again. After 2 years of using his seat he needed it back. I read through all the forms and decided on the HD Sundowner. The seat is great and more comfortable than the Corbin. I can ride all day woith no pain and what so ever.

ZZ

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:37 PM
glidepride
Advanced

Bars and seat are your answer. If you're 6'0 and over try the higher bars, be it the apes or Wild Ones. I did ok with the OEM stuff but felt like I was reaching for the bars because I kept sliding back on the stock seat. Like it was posted earlier, if your dealer has the seat and bar set up jig then go for it. I ride so much better and comfortable after I made the changes.

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:39 PM
Kaiser Sose
Advanced

I noticed that foot placement makes a difference.
Having all your weight on your tailbone, rather than sharing the load with your legs can be hard on your back...can be tiring for your legs too.
Being able to extend my legs, and push back into the seat made a big difference for me.
If a better suited seat doesn't work (it should help), I'd suggest some highway pegs or boards.
Enjoy

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:58 PM
KY HDRider
Tourer

I had a serious issue with what felt like a pinched nerve right at the center of my back just below my shoulder blades when riding more than an hour.
I had the Harley pullback bars installed and no more pain at all. They have a 2" pullback which completely eliminated my problem. BTW, I'm 6'1".
I also installed the rider adjustable backrest, highway pegs on the Harley short offset mounts, and a Sundowner seat. Now I can ride all day with little discomfort.
Good luck.

04Ultra

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:34 PM
pandol34
Tourer

Back rest & an airhawk seat pad.

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:37 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer

+ 1 on the adjustable back rest worked for me the extra money for the ADJUSTABLE is well worth it.

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:57 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Bars and backrest.

Old 06-01-2008 | 12:12 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master

ORIGINAL: davewear

backrest, and rotate the bars closer to you if you can
What he said!

Old 06-01-2008 | 12:19 AM
wjpauly
Advanced

Had the problem on my Classic and Ultra EG's. After 3 3K trips last year I put on an HD air seat over winter. Moved me a bit closer to the bars and a little higher that stock seat. Done a couple of 400 miles days so far this year with no problems. BTW, I'm 5'10"/170#.

Old 06-01-2008 | 02:02 AM
50thStateCycle
Cruiser

How tall are you?
Is there a slight bend in the elbow when holding bars?
Are you sitting straight when bars are turned to the left and right?
Are your feet flat on the ground?

Some options cost way more than others......

Seat
Backrest
Handlebars

If reach is a problem then you might consider new bars
Or getting new seat to move you forward, dependant on what year and model bike you have costs will vary between which one is cheaper. Reaching or slouching will cause that pain, exactly where you say it is.
Backrest did help some, only after I changed my seat. Needed to move my butt forward first then the adjustable backrest took me into heaven.
Handlebar height was perfect after that.
If your feet touches the ground with extra bend in knee, you most likely need to raise your handle bars to compensate for your height. Then you actually might be lucky and save some dollars. Having a backrest would not help if you are reaching down for your bars, but will be nice when you are sitting straight up again.
Just my little take on figuring out where the change needs to be. Everyones arms and leg lengths are different, gotta figure out what making the reach and slouch.
I have put a towel bundled up in the rear of my butt, when riding to identify if I needed to move forward. Yep that did it for me and I bought new seat.

Quick Reply: My Backs Killing Me