Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steet glide/cramped?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
mudder
Tourer
Received 232 Likes on 74 Posts
Default steet glide/cramped?

I'm sure its been talked about before, but alot of usare new, and there might be some new opinions out there, or new products:
my question is how is the SG for taller riders? anything help?
I'm gonna try and rent one tomorrow, get a feel for it, before I buy

Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Bulldogge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: steet glide/cramped?

6' 2" - 235lbs - Street Glide fits me like a glove - most comfortable bike I have ridden.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could put the floor board extenders and put them out about an 1" and if you change the seat most will put you back another 1", giving you 2" of more room. If your taller than Mudder it could help. Enjoy the rental.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I put a C&C seat on mine and it moved me back and a little down. It really made a big difference. I took a little ride yesterday ended up putting 300 miles on it

Old 05-31-2008, 06:27 AM
dreamcatcher2007
Cruiser

You raise a great issue and one that is not discussed very often; ergonomics.

A dealer should be trained to provide you with a tailored made fit, before you walk out the door.

The SG is tight for those above the 5'10 mark on the ruler. You will definetly have to make some adjustments if your 6' or taller.The footboard extensions, tallboy seat,, highway bars has me dialed in but it all looks FUGLY. The search goes on for a seat that resembles the stock SG street but that pushes me back a inch or two further like the tall boy.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 AM
blueride
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dreamcatcher2007

You raise a great issue and one that is not discussed very often; ergonomics.

A dealer should be trained to provide you with a tailored made fit, before you walk out the door.

The SG is tight for those above the 5'10 mark on the ruler. You will definetly have to make some adjustments if your 6' or taller.The footboard extensions, tallboy seat,, highway bars has me dialed in but it all looks FUGLY. The search goes on for a seat that resembles the stock SG street but that pushes me back a inch or two further like the tall boy.
Dreamcatcher is right. Every dealer should provide a tailored fit with every bike sale. Few, if any, do.

If I were you I'd rent a Road Glide. Glide's have much more cockpit room for the taller, bigger rider.

If you really want a SG, make the dealer pay for any changes, i.e. different handlebars, seat, etc. Tell the dealer the bike doesn't fit you!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17072/8AD551CDDFD44431B66F8420C2270159.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 AM
trispeed
Cruiser

this is a very common complaint; all the new saddles are too low for anyone over 5'10". Harly riders don't place much emphasis on comfort, compared to 'the look'. The MOCO has responded and created these ridiculous low, angled back seats that place a lot of strain on the lower back of anyone that's the least bit sensitive to it. If you like the "my butts dragging on the ground like a dog in heat" look, there'sprobably lower back pain in your future. I can't see the seat when I'm riding so I have a tall wide flat seat that resembles a cop saddle, just a dual version. It's so comfortable and really helps give me great control over the bike, as well.
If you're just riding down to the bar, like most Harley guys, ergonomics don't matter much. If you ride a lot, then the tall seat will look great at the end of an 800 mile day. ;-)
Happy riding!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:04 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior

I'm 6'5". Installed the 1" spacer to move the footboards out 1" and then installed Wild Bill's 2" forward brackets which moved the footboards forward 2". It is perfect now. The other thing to remember is that you will NEED a new taller windshield. The stock Street Glide windshield is horrible for tall SG riders, almost unrideable. I have the 8" Clearview w/ recurve.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 AM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

I have and 06 Street Glide and put on highway pegs. I'm 6'2" and feel pretty comfortable. A friend bought an 08 SG and I rode it and felt that the floorboards were higher than mine. Turns out the 08 has one less adjustment location on the floorboards.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After riding RG's since 2002, I feel cramped on EG's as soon as I sit on them despite the fact that I rode one for years prior to my RG's. I am not nearly as tall as some of you guys @ only 6', so my issue is different ~ just feels like the dash is in my face.

One of my friends is a huge man. He spoke with Corbin and gave them is inseam and they custom cut him a seat that moved him further back on the bike (a RK) and that works very well for him. I bet MeanCity could sculpt your stock seat to position you a bit further back too. Might be worth giving him a shout...

Quick Reply: steet glide/cramped?