Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This sound just CAN'T be right

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Buddha64
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This sound just CAN'T be right

OK this is driving me nuts. I have an '07 RK with 7400 miles on it. I bought it used and have put a little over 2000 on the clock.

When I cruise along at 30, 40 or 50 mph the valve train has a LOUD ticking, some days louder than others. At times it is so loud I can't hear my own exauhst which is stock. I have slightly louder slip-ons from e-bay on the way and I'm waiting on my IDS from Zanottis. I really hope the IDS solves this but I can't see how.

Now I'm not real familure with Harley motors, this is my first one, but it sounds alot like valves or lifters to me. Being the shade tree mechanic that I am. One of my co-workers has an '07 RKC but says he doesn't hear this noise. But he hasn't even had the 1000 mile check done yet.

So how about it is this something I should worry about? Will the IDS in fact solve this problem? BTW when at 27 mph I'm in 2nd; 40 I'm in 3rd and 50 in 4th. If I upshift it rattles and lugs real bad.

Thanks for any help,
George.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: This sound just CAN'T be right

I assume you are using 91 octane or higher fuel? It sounds like your rpm's should be high enough to keep youe engine from lugging. I would definitely havea mechanic check it out.It may still be under warranty (2 years). Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

When was the bike last serviced ? Was synthetic oil used ,Did they change the filter,These bikes take a good 15 TO 20 miles to warm up and get all the tollerances operating right.They will rattle cold and you must keeps the revs up as they will lug easy. Harley brought out a IDS unit that goes on the back wheel. That will help cruising at low revs and could stop the rattles.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Forget about the IDS. It only hides symptoms.

You could be right about valves or lifters but the other posters could be right too. Are you using 91 octane gas and have you changed the oil and filter since you bought it? The gas and oil are the easy and inexpensive first steps. If that is not the problem, take it to the dealer.

You have a two year warranty from the date it was first put into service so it is still in warranty.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 AM
stubby
Road Captain

Fuel is important. I wonder how much gas is much lower in octane then sold. At 7800 mi., in fact this lastweekend, I began to hear lifter chatter, 07 RKC. Some hot, heavy running and a fresh tank of gas seems to have worked it out.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 AM
reeac
Tourer

Sounds like gas to me. I got a bad batch and had noise much like you. I added an octane booster and it went away. I don't recommend using octane booster as a rule but it did the trick.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ive had a similar intermittent noise left side. ive been told its a lifter that rotates searching for its spot (??? am i gettin that right??). my noise seems to have taken a vacation and havent heard it in a few months so im hoping it has corrected itself. could have been a sticking lifter i suppose.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

The loud ticking could simply be the fuel injectors. MIne are loud and I have Rineharts. With stock pipes I bet that's what your hearing. Obviously an IDS isn't going to fix that.

You answered your own last question. Your lugging the motor. Shift later. The engine loves the rpms. WHen you say you upshift I assume you mean into 5th. 5th gear is noisy by it's design. There are a million threads on the noisy 5th gear. That's what the IDS is supposed to fix ( hide ). Shift later and you wont have the lugging problem.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Change the oil to reccomended and put loud pipes on all you will hear is that..Ditto check it out first at the dealer tho... I once went to mufflers from drags because I moved to a new coumty where I didn't know anyone and didn't want to get ticketed abnd branded I thought I was driving a sewing machine. I guess that the ol FXR still sounds like that but u can't hear it....

Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '07 exhibited that same noise at about 1K miles....i posted here about it, in fact.

Now, at 2.5K it's gone and has been gone for the last thousand miles....don't ask me where it went.....I always buy my gas at same Exxon and always drive same way....It simply went away.

I ain't telling you to ignore it, tho.......I suggest you try a fuel additive and also try reving it higher thru the gears.....

Quick Reply: This sound just CAN'T be right