Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This sound just CAN'T be right

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Buddha64
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This sound just CAN'T be right

Thanks guys,

I keep the rev's up because I would rather listen to the rattle/ticking then listen to lugging. I use 93 octane gas at all times usually from the same station, maybe next tank I'll go to BP and try that.

I havn't done any service since I bought the bike, I was thinking of switching to synthetic and seeing if that helped. The bike used to be one of my dealers rental bikes and I do have a copy of all the service that was performed. As far as warranty seeing as this was my first Harley I made the mistake of getting the extended warranty. I say mistake because since I've found this forum there is a lot of engine work I would like to do but that would void the warranty so I'll have to wait a few years for them.

I'll have a mechanic check it out, change brands of gas and go with synthetic oil and see what happens.

Again thanks,
George.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Rich Train Driver
Advanced

G'day all, I think EdwardK has it right, it could possibly just be the 'tick' of the fuel injector. My injector noisecan be distinctly heard over a pair of resonably loud slip-on's and moderately playedradio of my 06' Street Glide. It was the same with my '03 Road King.

Cheers Rich

Old 05-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Buddha64
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rich Train Driver

G'day all, I think EdwardK has it right, it could possibly just be the 'tick' of the fuel injector. My injector noisecan be distinctly heard over a pair of resonably loud slip-on's and moderately playedradio of my 06' Street Glide. It was the same with my '03 Road King.

Cheers Rich
Sorry EdwardK I totally missed the injectors in your post, thanks Rich. Injectors could be the source. I'll try everything else and if it still persists I'll have to chalk it up to them. I'm going to have to learn to live with it though, which would be hard, I have too much into the bike to trade it in.

George.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Buddha64

Thanks guys,

I keep the rev's up because I would rather listen to the rattle/ticking then listen to lugging. I use 93 octane gas at all times usually from the same station, maybe next tank I'll go to BP and try that.

I havn't done any service since I bought the bike, I was thinking of switching to synthetic and seeing if that helped. The bike used to be one of my dealers rental bikes and I do have a copy of all the service that was performed. As far as warranty seeing as this was my first Harley I made the mistake of getting the extended warranty. I say mistake because since I've found this forum there is a lot of engine work I would like to do but that would void the warranty so I'll have to wait a few years for them.

I'll have a mechanic check it out, change brands of gas and go with synthetic oil and see what happens.

Again thanks,
George.

I may be wrong but seems like I have read on here that you can cash in your extended warranty. I know that I can on my truck.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a carbed version with 18K and it ticks like a bomb. My 06 Sporty did the same with under 10K, carb. I think they just tick to some degree. I always use good fuel and have my bikes serviced regularly.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 PM
wuznme
Cruiser

I bet a $1 to a donut; the IDSreduces the noise to a normal level

Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish you had a tach on that Road King. Mine's been doing it since new and its always around 2700 rpm. in any gear.
Gary D.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

Check out your extended warranty. Mine is through a "third party" and not HD so the issues of mods are not so great. Also a lot of the warranty decisions are made by the dealer not the MOCO. I talked a lot to mine about this since I want to go with a Fuelmoto setup. They said no problem since they are a PC dealer. I just need to make sure it's not a PC problem before I bring it in or I get charged diagnostic labour since they did not sell the unit.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Talk to your dealer about a SE 103 kit with 251 cams. They might give you waranty if they do the work

Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM
cruiser7556
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am experiencing the same ticking sound, 2005 RK, 6100miles....some days louder than others....the dealer gave it the once over, changed he oil etc...no change. They told me this is normal with someHarleys and that I have nothing to be concerned about....$700.00 later...I always use high octane fuel.......

Quick Reply: This sound just CAN'T be right