Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIFE GOT HIT TODAY!! (UP-DATE 6-5-08)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:34 PM
monkish
|
Road Master
Default WIFE GOT HIT TODAY!! (UP-DATE 6-5-08)

My wife left for work this morning at about 6:40am. I am on vacation so I was home and got a call at about 6:45am. A fellow biker saw what happened and stopped to assist. He kept her calm and called me to let me know what was going on.

My wife turned out of our development and had noticed that the lady who had followed her through the devlopment made the same turn. The next stop sign is one that merges onto a busy hwy and is a bear to make the turn when it is a steady line of traffic. The wife proceded to the stop sign and had come to a complete stop. The car that had followed apparently decided that there was enough gap in traffic that if she just kept getting it, she could merge right in. So she proceded to hit my wife square in the rear between 35 and 40 mph. Melinda was thrown straight up, came down on the hood and then to the asphault. Had she been a few more feet up, she would have been thrown into the oncoming traffic on hwy 158.

The lady told the cops that she thought Melinda had already pulled out and admitted to the estimated speed. She was hit about 20 feet from the stopping point which meens the woman had no intention of stopping at ALL. She had made a conscious effort to RUN THE STOP SIGN so she could hit the pocket and not get stuck at the stop sign.

She actually lives in our neighborhood and got out of the car praying and I am sure she feels horrible. I am still very pissed about the wreckless decision she made.

We got x-rays and are going for an MRI next week since she has had neck surgury in the past. She is banged up a bit and on some pain meds but I am sure the sorness will really get bad this weekend. She is a tough cookie and all should be fine. My 22nd anniversary is Sunday and GOD gave me my gift a few days early. This could have been much worse. The only thing that my wife could have done different was to maintain an eye check in the rearview mirrors all the way to the stop. But then again she already had&nbsp\\;established that the person coming up behind her was the same lady who followed her through the neighborhood. She rides very well and is a very observant rider. Maybe could have ditched it instead of taking a direct hit had she checked the mirrors one more time. When someone decides not to obey the trraffic laws, it becomes very difficult to avoid their stupidity.

The bike is tore slap up. A quick look from the shop was 8,000 to 10,000 in damage. It flexed the bike enough to release the seat tounge out from under the tank while still being screwed in place. We will get a full estimate next week. I am going to push for it to be totaled as I did not wait 15 yrs to buy my first HD so it could become a 50% rehab project.

She will ride again and I am truely blessed to still have her here.

RIDE SAFE BROTHERS

Joe Findell

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:39 PM
acid_chipmunk
Tourer
Default RE: WIFE GOT HIT TODAY!!

WOW, I am glad that your wife is OK. Prayer for a quick recovery sent your way. Also, Happy Anniversary!

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:41 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Wow, glad to hear she is still with us. That could have been even worse.

I got hit from behind last summer, blew my bike trip. Did about $6000 damage to mine. I was hit somewhere around 10-20 mph, so not near as bad as your wife.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:43 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad she survived. Hope she gets back to riding soon.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:44 PM
maxflhx
Tourer

Very sorry to hear of this. Godspeedfor your wifes recovery.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:44 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

WOW, every riders nightmare. Glad to hear that she is OK and was able to "walk" away (so to speak) from the accident. Someone was looking out for her.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:47 PM
mysticwolf
Road Master

That really stinks, but glade to hear she is doing OK ( basically ) Hope the MRI comes out OK for her, and happy anniversary.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:48 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

Justkeep comfortable, you'll both be back in the saddle soon enough. Your lucky to have her with you still, take the time to plan your next 23 years. God Bless.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:49 PM
Hugh Jass
Tourer

Our thoughts and prayers go out to your wife and wishes for the best!

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:50 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

Praying for a quick & complete recovery.

Quick Reply: WIFE GOT HIT TODAY!! (UP-DATE 6-5-08)