Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 tour pak removable

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006 | 11:57 AM
PA Bagger
|
Novice
Default 93 tour pak removable

Hi, Im looking for advice on making my tour pak removable. The problem is that all the local dealers tell me that the docking hardware is for 95 and up. Does anyone know what the differnce is or how to make it work. I've had this bike for a couple of years and she is still in great shape but I need to change her up a little. I have been riding harleys for over 20 years and this is one of the newest bikes I have had. But when I go to the dealers they act like im looking for panhead parts! If there is a will...........
Thanks

Old 02-28-2006 | 12:10 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: 93 tour pak removable

They changed the saddlebags after you bike making the current setup a no go. I'm not sure if any after market companies can help you or not. You can always make something work if you put your mind to it.

Old 02-28-2006 | 02:18 PM
SaltyBagger
Tourer

I just finished doing this to my 88 EG. It was an all fab project as I got the same answer you are getting. Mikeisglidin posted some pictures on my question post that showed a quick release type of set up on his old bike but I went a different route.

Thanks to 89FLHT for the ideas - This requires frame drilling and bending of the existing rack. If this makes you nervous stop here.

Pull the tour pac from the rack. Pull the chrome fender strut covers. Drill out the rivits (top and bottom) holding the rear of the rack to the frame. drill all the way through the rack and frame rivit holes with a 3/8s bit (for a 5/16 bolt). Rear modifications are done.

You will need to get to the 2 bolts inside fender holding the shocks/fender/front rack to the frame. I had my back wheel off anyway so it was easy. Mark the front rack supports just over the frame/fender struts. Pay attention to the angle between the rack and fender strut as this will be where you bend the rack supports out and this is not a straight (90 degree) bend. Remove the 2 shock/fender/rack bolts and remove the rack from the frame. Bend the rack front support legs out at the line you marked. Basically the front rack supports will rest on top of the fender struts. I used a bench vise and was just slow and careful. The chrome will be destroyed but I repainted the damaged places with silver paint and it looks OK. Cut the rack supports so the piece resting on the fender strut is just long enough to drill out for a bolt. Drill all the way through the rack legs and the fender strut again with a 3/8s bit. Trim the leftover rack support legs so they can be replaced in the old fender/shock/rack location for proper spacing.

Paint up all your fab work, including the holes in the frame. Get (4) 5/16x 2" bolts - I used stainless button head machine screws, (8) rubber lined flat washers and (4) stainless steel nylock nuts. All this was off the shelf at my local nut and bolt shop. Re-bolt up the tour pac and you are good to go. 4 bolts off/4 bolts on. Takes about 10 minutes to pull/replace the pac. In addition I trimmed the chrome fender strut covers where the rack sits on the frame. I am just considering ditching these covers however as I don't like the look when the pac is off.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-03-2006 | 11:18 PM
PA Bagger
|
Novice

Thank's wow that sounds like a 30 pack or so job. But it's good to know that it has been done.
Thanks again I will get back with some more questions as soon as I grow a set and get to tearing her apart! Scott

Old 03-06-2006 | 01:51 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

PA Bagger,

It's not a Bad job one you have the bags off and are stairing at the rivited on Tour Pak deal.

It really comes down to removing the rivets, drilling a couple holes and bending the front 2 arms of the factory tour pac.

Didn't take more than 2 hours to do start to fininsh. And it cleans up the back of the bike so nice when your done that it's definitly worth it.

Post away with questions when you get into it and we'll definitly help you out.

Old 03-14-2006 | 04:33 PM
PA Bagger
|
Novice

89, I removed the pack over the weakend. I found out that I didn't have to drill out any rivets
but was there a bunch of wires to contend with being that I have the Ulta modle. If I didnt have the two antinas, rear speakers and the amp bolted under the tourpak rack it wouldn't have been to bad. Did you put a back rest on yours? From what I have seen I think 94-96 Road King parts will fit? I'm having trouble finding a seat but i think im going to see about getting mine redone. I didnt bend the rack yet but it looks like it sure will work! Thanks for the info. PA Bagger

Old 03-14-2006 | 06:48 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

PA Bagger,

I did not put a backrest on. It's a good bet that the 94-96 RK parts will either bolt right up or require just a little modification to fit.
Seats are really subjective I think and people definitly have their preferences.
For my setup, I only run the TourPac if the Mrs is coming along for the ride, the rest of the time I use a solo seat. I went with a Lepera Monterey and a removable 14" wide passenger pillion. Mustang and Corbin each have similar setups as well.
If the solo seat isn't for you, I'm sure there are a bunch of 2 up seats that'll work style and function wise. Or redoing your existing one will definitly work as well.

The bends for the rack should be pretty quick to do, good luck with it, and it's great to see more Evo's are out there and still being ridden and modified.

89FLHT

Old 03-14-2006 | 09:17 PM
wjl24
Road Captain

I have a 95 ultra and they don't have all the detachable parts for mine either. 97 and up seems to be different. But I took my tour pack off and the mounting plate has holes that are 7" apart side to side and 6 3/4 " front to back. I was looking around and found out that an obsolete Harley four channel rack for a road king has the same mounting holes. I found one on ebay and just odered it yesterday. There are more available on ebay. Look for Harley part number 53405-87B. I called around, no dealers have anymore. I actually found a new one on ebay but there are a couple of used ones that the auction ends tonight. It won't be quick detachable but only requires removal of four bolts and of course all the plugs for antennas, lights, speakers and rear speaker controls. The change out takes about 1/2 hour (wires and plugs take the longest) and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your detachable. You can still buy the backrest pad from Harley, #52548-87B. Check it out!