Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon kardon radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harmon kardon radio problem

Lost first radio LCD in my Road Glide and had it replaced under warranty. Just lost the second screen and found they replaced first unit with a refurbished model. Decided if it went after warranty ran out that I would replace it with an aftermarket setup. Went with Sony CDX-M30 marine radio, Hawg-Wired HSA470 intstall kit (includes module for handlebar controls (HSA150), radio cradle (DC235) and machined aluminum radio bezel (DB235) - Biketronics install kit doesn't look as good with it's plain black flat plate), and Kicker KS5.2component marine speakers. This setup is less than $500 or just over $400 if you shop for lowest prices (my total cost was less than $400 shipped to Hawaii, but it would have beena lot less shippedstateside)through Ebay and Amazon). Radio is $120-150, Hawg Wire kit is 220-239, and speakers are $100-150. Got the radio for $148 (with s/h) from Ebay, Hawg wire kit from Ebay for 160 (with s/h), and speakers are on sale at Amazon for $60 (+s/h). I'll follow up with how the install goes. All the parts should be he by next weekend.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you try doing the software update?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
hot77vette
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what i sugested but it went on def ears or maybe im the only one that sees my posts hello??????

Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeathWind

Lost first radio LCD in my Road Glide and had it replaced under warranty. Just lost the second screen and found they replaced first unit with a refurbished model. Decided if it went after warranty ran out that I would replace it with an aftermarket setup. Went with Sony CDX-M30 marine radio, Hawg-Wired HSA470 intstall kit (includes module for handlebar controls (HSA150), radio cradle (DC235) and machined aluminum radio bezel (DB235) - Biketronics install kit doesn't look as good with it's plain black flat plate), and Kicker KS5.2component marine speakers. This setup is less than $500 or just over $400 if you shop for lowest prices (my total cost was less than $400 shipped to Hawaii, but it would have beena lot less shippedstateside)through Ebay and Amazon). Radio is $120-150, Hawg Wire kit is 220-239, and speakers are $100-150. Got the radio for $148 (with s/h) from Ebay, Hawg wire kit from Ebay for 160 (with s/h), and speakers are on sale at Amazon for $60 (+s/h). I'll follow up with how the install goes. All the parts should be he by next weekend.

Take a few pictures along the way. It will make for better reading.

I have a question though......are the harness all plug and play....as for the Hawg-Wired stuff for the handle-bar controls?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 AM
DeathWind
Tourer

Itis plug and play. It's the same concept as Biketronics, but I also like the fact that it has wires for therear speakers andremote on connection coming off the plug. The Biketronics doesn't. Some say the Hawg Wire unit doesn't vary the volume like the Biketronics, butaccording to the web site it does, it's just called attenuatefeature. Looks like the longest part of this install shouldbe removing and replacing the fairing. Going to run the speakers without an amp and see what it does. I also havean amp to boost it if needed, but Ihope it won't be needed. Sony models are a little more powerful than HKs, plustesting on the CDX-M30 has shown that the amp produces a bit more than advertised (21 rms versus advertised 17 rms). The HK radio was fine without an amp once I added the JBLspeakers.

I wondered about adding the componentspeakers, but found out that the Kicker's tweeter can be connected to the woofer for astandard fit.

I'll take photosand post those and the results of this combo. I wan't too fond of the off color of the sony marine models, but I was thinking of adding a splashcover because I ride daily and the trips on the weekend so rain is a concern. Waiting onHawg Wire to email me back about one of their photos. they show the bezel with a black cover and I want to know make and model that they used.It's a nice clean look. I saw a couple photos in Hawg Wires gallery of the sony marine model in the fairing and it didn't look bad since the gauges are white.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: hot77vette

thats what i sugested but it went on def ears or maybe im the only one that sees my posts hello??????
Where'd you come from?, I've never seen any of your posts before.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 AM
redmini
6th Gear

I have a problem with my 06 RG Harmon Kardon. Talked to dealer and was told I could bring it in, they ship it to the manufacturer and it is replaced with a refurb for a flat fee of $125. Don't hold me to that exact price but it was within $10 that he mentioned. Haven't done it yet but I have been led to believe that it is a simple process....

Old 05-31-2008, 08:53 AM
PAPAFISH
Cruiser

like jayman said that 2 weeks is BS i'm a service director for a gm store and all the manufactors have some type of goodwill.call harley and be nice but firm with them.
goodluck

Old 05-31-2008, 09:12 AM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

I guess you have a couple choices here. You can get a replacement (buy) from your dealer. You can buy an aftermarket product and get a better radio or you can fight your dealer and the MOCO for a free replacement. There have been hundreds, if not thousands of these radios go bad. Mine included. Granted, mine was within the first year but these things are defective from the get go. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM
DeathWind
Tourer

Yep, my first one went after a couple of rides in the rain within 1st 6 months. Imagine my surprise that my "touring" bike's radio couldn't handle rain. When they replaced it (under warranty), I ran a bead of clear silicone around the lcd to try and stop water intrusion. That may or may not have helped it last for over a year. With both units I had used MP3 CDs so I never used the auxiallary input. After warranty ran out in March, but before the LCD went blank, I hadbought a small mp3 player. First time I plugged in the cable the jack broke loose and shoved into the radio. Well with no warranty and an electronics background, I pulled it apart and found that every solder joint on the jack had popped. So I superglued the jack to the board and resoldered everything and it worked until the LCD went our a couple weeks ago. Radio still plays, just can't see anything.

Quick Reply: Harmon kardon radio problem