Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB antennae Kit for Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 AM
FLHRSD
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB antennae Kit for Road King

Has anyone put a J&M handlebar mount CB on their road king and used the antennae kit from Harley Part #76415-06? If so, are you pleased with it. I have a detachable tour pack on mine and want a short antennae on it.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: CB antennae Kit for Road King

I just installed that kit, but haven't installed the CB--I'm using the Cobra 75 WX ST handheld unit and awaiting the arrival of an extension cable from the connector box to the handheld unit.

PM JMJOHN, J&M's owner and an active member of HDF, and ask him about the antenna issue.

If you plan to use the CB only with the TP, you may be better off buying the CB antenna parts from HD to have the CB antenna attached to the TP like an Ultra.

The antenna kit you mentioned is tuneable by turning some knurled nuts on the ground plane portion of the antenna base, not by adjusting the length of the antenna mast as is typically done. But if you don't use the supplied antenna mast, tuning the antenna may be a problem. I'd call HD customer service and try to get a knowledgeable person to discuss the use of a shorter antenna.

I plan to replace the long whip antenna mast supplied with the kit with a newer HD CB antenna or J&M shorty antennas, but will ask John about doing so since his CB antenna is specifically designed for use on the HD Ultra.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Big Blue Bike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harleypingman,
Is there anyway you could scan me the instructions to that CB antenna kit? I'm thinking about putting a detachable tour pak on and would like to see if I can adapt it to the CB connection inside the tp.

Thanks,
BBB

Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 AM
FLHRSD
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be good to see those instructions

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

BBB: The cable has a 90* elbow at the mount end where it plugs into the antenna base, so I don't see how that would work with a TP.

As for the instructions, the kit uses a bracket that mounts in the two bolt locations that are in the chrome,rightsaddlebag support bracket immediately below the unusedrectangular opening--if your bke has saddlebag guard rails, the top bolt comes out and is replaced with a longer one supplied in the kit. The rest of the kit is assembling the antenna coil and base to install in the bracket and routing the cable to the front of the bike.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Big Blue Bike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info but I have one more question. Does the cable disconnect before the elbow at any point where I could attach a cable from the tour pak or is it a one piece cable from the radio to the elbow?

Thanks,
BBB

Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

BBB: The antenna cable is a single piece with non-standard connectors at each end; the elbow is created using a metal clamp, for lack of a better term, that bends the cable 90 degrees. "Non-standard" meaning that typically a PL-259 connector is used--HD uses a smaller one at each end of the cable. Since the Cobra Connector box included with the kit I purchased uses a PL-259 connector, I had the HD connector removed at the CB radio end and replaced with a PL-259 connector.