Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
tckitt13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?

ORIGINAL: R1Geezrglide

Aw, heck. You all should know by now that whenever something like this is posted all the Ride Mommies come out of the woodwork to lecture rather than answer the question. Almost like being on a HOG chapter ride...[sm=escape.gif]
EXAAAACCCTTLY! Wouldn't be so bad if they actually had something to contribute to the question rather than JUST the nagging. Proper speed in any situation varies immensely according to who's doing the "judging". Is 20 in a 15 zone too fast? Is it dangerous? If traffic is moving along at 80 and Mr. Safety Daddy is doing 60 is he safe? It's all relative folks and open to opinions, but if I wanted to know what you thought a safe speed was I would have asked that question rather than the one posted.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tckitt13

My oh My I must be a complete idiot! Here's the thing folks, I posted the question looking for technical information from others on this forum not to be lectured by all the "mommies" and "daddies" here who have the definative answer to how fast is "safe" or "sensible". I also do not ride that fast very often, I have 8,000 miles on my bike and have been that fastonly 4 or 5 times. If you feel the need to lecture someone please become a preacher. You don't know the situation I ride under and I am old enough that I don't have to answer to my own mommy and daddy anymore so you can guess how much weight your tsk, tsk has with me. I have spent a good portion of my life racing, not just motorcycles but almost anything with a motor and do so with as much safety as possible. You know, it just may be that I am amore saferider at 110 or120 MPH than you are at 80 or 90. Like I said, I'vespent much of my life at high speed and am not one of those who wets themselves when the speedo passes 45 [8D]. I know that going fast is dangerous, but so is crossing the street or riding at all for that matter. How fast is sensible and who gets to decide? I thought riding a Harley was about freedom not domination but......
It is also about safety and not endangering the lives of others around you. If you desire to exceed 100 mph on a touring bike, that is your business.....until someone else's life can be harmed by your reckless speed. I love it when I read how people try to justify their freedom, and can give a rat's butt about the freedom and right of others to expect everyone to drive/ride in a responsible manner.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
tckitt13
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys it sure seems like there are many 96s running out of steam right at about 105-110. But there also seem to be many that go beyond that speed and so I wonder what the difference is? Other than some engines just run better stock than others.

A couple of additional points of possible interest:

1. I don't have a fairing as some seem to be thinking, this is a Road King not ultra or glide but I do have the windshield and I understand that there is considerable drag with that. I haven't tried top speed without the windshield.

2. I ride often with a friend who has an '07 FatBoy withouta windshield. His is set up identically to mine: Stock 96 (although his is the "A" motor) with 6 speed, SE intake, Cobra fuel processor, and drilled out factory mufflers instead of slip-ons. Guess what? Exactly the same top end and he has to lay down on the bike to get there.

3. Somewhat suprising is that my Road King is rock solid at 105 mph. I have heard that many of the dressers have a wobble in the front end at high speeds. I have ridden bikes that develop that high speed wobble and it is very scary.

The combination of both bikes with the same motors and trannys running out of steam at exactly the same MPH is what really started me thinking about the possibility of a limiter of some sort. But apparently it is coincidence. Sure seems odd though that so many different engines run the same top end with all the variances such as rider weight, windshield size, fuel quality, mods, altitudes, air temps and all. Really makes ya wonder doesn't it?

Again, thanks for the input!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
tckitt13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: russl179

ORIGINAL: tckitt13

My oh My I must be a complete idiot! Here's the thing folks, I posted the question looking for technical information from others on this forum not to be lectured by all the "mommies" and "daddies" here who have the definative answer to how fast is "safe" or "sensible". I also do not ride that fast very often, I have 8,000 miles on my bike and have been that fastonly 4 or 5 times. If you feel the need to lecture someone please become a preacher. You don't know the situation I ride under and I am old enough that I don't have to answer to my own mommy and daddy anymore so you can guess how much weight your tsk, tsk has with me. I have spent a good portion of my life racing, not just motorcycles but almost anything with a motor and do so with as much safety as possible. You know, it just may be that I am amore saferider at 110 or120 MPH than you are at 80 or 90. Like I said, I'vespent much of my life at high speed and am not one of those who wets themselves when the speedo passes 45 [8D]. I know that going fast is dangerous, but so is crossing the street or riding at all for that matter. How fast is sensible and who gets to decide? I thought riding a Harley was about freedom not domination but......
It is also about safety and not endangering the lives of others around you. If you desire to exceed 100 mph on a touring bike, that is your business.....until someone else's life can be harmed by your reckless speed. I love it when I read how people try to justify their freedom, and can give a rat's butt about the freedom and right of others to expect everyone to drive/ride in a responsible manner.
OK, so 100 mph is the magic number? And you are the "God of responsibility" who gets to decide what the magic number is? Who am I endangering if there is nobody else around? Again, you don't know the situation that I am riding in and, quite frankly, it's not something that I should have to explain to you. If you really want to pursue this arguement why don't you start your own thread? Oh yeah, because NO ONE WOULD WANT TO READ IT!! Again, if you don't know what you're talking about....and, obviously you don't, (or you wouldn't unknowingly accuse me of endangering others).....well I suspect you will be able to determine the rest.

Find a pulpit and have a good day. I hope you are comfortable accusing others..... Man you must be one wonderful human being!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:23 PM
jahays32
Tourer

have not tried.

What MPG do you get at 105 mph?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
tckitt13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: jahays32

have not tried.

What MPG do you get at 105 mph?

LMAO! I ride this speed most of the time through school zones and past funeral processions and get about 32.8 mpg But I think if I could get 'er up to about 120 through the Mall parking lot that the cars and people would break the wind some and possilby get me up to 33 MPG![sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
chiefordnance
Advanced

It's probably starving for fuel just like a car when certain performance mods are done since it's fuel injecteds it probably needs a larger capacity fuel pump and larger injectors. Here is a link to a shop which sells the upgrades online.

http://www.injector.com/harleyinjection.php

Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell, I will be as impressed as all get out if my RKC can drag my fat a$$ up to 110.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I'll know whose postings to avoid now. If you ask a question in an open forum, you can except many different answers. If you knew you were going to hear them, then don't bother to ask. I don't really care how fast one goes, as long as they aren't in my way.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM
BM83
Tourer

My roadglide seemed to hit the wall at 105 when stock and even after the SERT, SEAC, and rineharts.

The deal maker for my bike was the cam change. The HQ cams really woke up the bike.

I switched exhaust to the fatcat and gained back some low end to go with the top end.

I am now waiting on my heads to get back from HQ. I am going to try their heads with the 96 and see how it runs before doing the 103.

I had two v-rods and a hotrod sportster before this bike so I was not really used to the low top speed.

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?