Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
harleyflo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?

theres no speed limiter on mine,maybe my fuelpak bypasses it.i was on a long stretch when i did that

Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Mine is limited by my common sense. Not gonna lecture anyone, but I have only been up to 95 mph on this bike. Never felt the need to go any faster. Still had more left though...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

That barn door fairing doesn't help much.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
08blackstreetglider
Novice

Remember the the old 85 m.p.h shovelhead speedo's? They left so much to the imagination. Fact is, without costly mods the big 96" is doing all it can to push the batwing to 105 - 115 m.p.h. Oh well, C.B.R's do 160 or so if thats what you dig.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:44 AM
tckitt13
Advanced

My oh My I must be a complete idiot! Here's the thing folks, I posted the question looking for technical information from others on this forum not to be lectured by all the "mommies" and "daddies" here who have the definative answer to how fast is "safe" or "sensible". I also do not ride that fast very often, I have 8,000 miles on my bike and have been that fastonly 4 or 5 times. If you feel the need to lecture someone please become a preacher. You don't know the situation I ride under and I am old enough that I don't have to answer to my own mommy and daddy anymore so you can guess how much weight your tsk, tsk has with me. I have spent a good portion of my life racing, not just motorcycles but almost anything with a motor and do so with as much safety as possible. You know, it just may be that I am amore saferider at 110 or120 MPH than you are at 80 or 90. Like I said, I'vespent much of my life at high speed and am not one of those who wets themselves when the speedo passes 45 [8D]. I know that going fast is dangerous, but so is crossing the street or riding at all for that matter. How fast is sensible and who gets to decide? I thought riding a Harley was about freedom not domination but......

Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 AM
tckitt13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: BM83

It is about all a stock 96" will do. If you do a cam swap with your slip-ons, air cleaner, and fuel programmer (provided its tuned properly) you can get a little more out of it.

The reason it goes the same speed in 5 and 6 is because the engine doesn't have enough power to push the bike in the higher gear.

The lower gear ratio of the 5th gear provides more torque muliplication and is usable to a higher RPM than the 6th gear.

Bottom line is the stock 96 doesn't have enough power.
Well that's what it feels like. Like it just runs out of power, but I was surprised that the top speed was exactly the same in both gears. And if the stock 96 won't pull that well in 6th gear maybe the bikes should have been geared a bit lower to make better use of the OD 6th?

I also have a custom bike with an Ultima 100 c.i. El Bruto engine. That engine will pull any bike as fast as you can stand to go (or at least as fast as I can stand to go....yes I do have my limits) with only four more cubes than the 96" twin cam. And I fell that the twin cam design has a much better performance potential than the Evolution modeled Ultima. But then, of course, the Ultimas, S&Ss, RevTechs, etc. all have head work and cams so maybe the "goodies" mean more than just raw cubic inches. Anyway, the warranty is up on mine in October so then I guess I'll probably find out which upgrades help the most. I think I'll have the heads worked first, then add a cam, and then............

Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 AM
kgjl
Tourer

I have seen 110 on my Ultra. It was still climbing, but very slowly.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

The speed limiter is the 65 or so HP that is available from the stock engines. Actually, it's pretty impressive that it can push a bike that heavy and draggy up to 105 in the first place.

I really can't understand why a 96" engine can't make any more power than my 80" shovel and at the same time use more gas when it's so leaned out and choked down that it can barely run. To me, these facts just don't add up. Seems likesince they're running so lean, then they should get awesome gas milage. Go figure.

Kinda hafta agree with ya on the lecturing thang. My philosophy is: To each his own when it comes to how fast you want to go - as long as you're riding by yourself at the time. Been there, done that on a hopped-up Kawasaki Z1 back in the day (clocked at 158 with a borrowed radar gun). Nothing like a little speed - in MPH, not the drug kind - ta get ya really focused in the situational awareness department.

Best wishes,

John

Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM
siggybrain
Intermediate

Well Im in the same boat. Ultra would only go 105mph. Did head work 103" kit andrews 55 cams and it sill will only do 110mph also have a Tmax so ithas nothing to do with a limiter. Seams like it hits a limit around 105mph and just creaps up to 110mph. Kind makes me made after all the work I had done, but at least it will scream uptill 110mph though. Guess I will have to say it the big bat fairing causing such a wind drag at thoughs speeds. Oh and for everyone reading In stationed in Germany where it is legal to drive these speeds.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Gilbert
Stage III

Topeka

That's why we keep all you silly Yankee's in the north.

Regards,
Gil

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?