Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM
dr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not going to read 14 pages of people telling you to slow down but my 07 is a 103" with some goodies I shift 5th to 6th at 118-120@ 6200rpm or so and it will pin the needle after that in 6th so I'm not sure what it runs on the topside, but the 96" just do not have the guts to pull 6th and you going to hit the stock rev limter in 5th about 115 or so. You just need more motor thats all.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trex
Hey, sometimes I do burnouts and wheelies,whata gotta say about that?
Inconsiderate bastard!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tckitt13
Is there any sort of speed limiter on the 96" motor bikes? I know that there is a REV limiter but my Road King seems to hit awall at 105 MPH.

I have a '07 FLHR with stock motor, Arlen Hess Big Sucker air cleaner, slip-on mufflers, and a Cobra Fi2000r fuel processor (closed loop). The odd thing is that at 105 MPH the bike seems to be limited although I am unable to hear of feel either an ignition cut-out or a de-fueling. The strange part is that it will do 105 MPH in either 5th or 6th gear![:-] Now I could understand that perhaps the Road King is just plain "out of power" at that speed but it seems really odd that it will achieve the same top speed in either gear.
Yeah right. Gotta be a joke. If not, then you're a complete idiot.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Motor, weight, and aerodynamics. As said reving through the gears may get you a little more. Also try riding downhill and with the wind.

Its not riding 100+ that's dangerous, its the sudden stops that hurt.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My GPS tells me Ive been 109 MPH. THe old lady tells me I do it again and she'll kill me. So yes I do have a Speed Limiter.....

Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

I've buried my limiter many times on wide open North country roads where the visibility is clear for miles and the highway is perfectly smooth. I have a 102hp/108tq 95" Fatboy with a high rpm cam. I've run it flat out against a Honda 6cyl Valkrie (my buddy's) and at the top end my FB slowly creeps away from the Honda. His Speedo goes to 140 and he said I slowly walked away from him as we approached 130. Bike was perfectly stable. Like it was going 55...only faster

While you wouldn't do this on your everyday congested road..... on a wide open, divided, 4 lane highway with visibility for miles and absolutely no traffic, it was a blast. Good to also know the capability of the bike. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again under the perfect weather, road, bike and traffic conditions.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-29-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
Yeah right. Gotta be a joke. If not, then you're a complete idiot.
Whaddya mean by this? Everyone who talks about going over 105 is an idiot? Or he doesn't know how to go over 105 and that makes him an idiot?

So either way you're calling me an idiot , is that right tough guy?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tckitt13
My oh My I must be a complete idiot! Here's the thing folks, I posted the question looking for technical information from others on this forum not to be lectured by all the "mommies" and "daddies" here who have the definative answer to how fast is "safe" or "sensible". I also do not ride that fast very often, I have 8,000 miles on my bike and have been that fastonly 4 or 5 times. If you feel the need to lecture someone please become a preacher. You don't know the situation I ride under and I am old enough that I don't have to answer to my own mommy and daddy anymore so you can guess how much weight your tsk, tsk has with me. I have spent a good portion of my life racing, not just motorcycles but almost anything with a motor and do so with as much safety as possible. You know, it just may be that I am amore saferider at 110 or120 MPH than you are at 80 or 90. Like I said, I'vespent much of my life at high speed and am not one of those who wets themselves when the speedo passes 45 [8D]. I know that going fast is dangerous, but so is crossing the street or riding at all for that matter. How fast is sensible and who gets to decide? I thought riding a Harley was about freedom not domination but......
Complete Idiot? hmmmmmmm,well, You said it..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Sath
Tourer

I think I understand where he is coming from. When I hit the 105 wall for the first time I backed down to 90 and hit it again and the bike pulled hard till 105 then leveled off, I did this once again to be sure of what was happening and had the same question. Something was going on because I had a 3rd gear tourqe feel from 90 to 105 but the bike topped out or was limited. 105 was all I would ever want or ever need but still wondered what was going on. Btw it was a different bike than I'm riding now but had the same question. I haven't broke 90 on my SG, and have no desire but there is always that question what will it do.

Sath

Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

well - just so I can read the flames later:
- 1976 R90S with RS full fairing, delorto carbs, cam - 145mph
- 1980 KZ1300A 6 cylinder cafe fairing - 155mph, with plenty left
- 1990 Zx10 - to many mods to mension - 163mph (oops got caught )

Every bike I have ever had, save one (Honda 350/4) would move beyond 100mph. (yawn)

But Now I have a Harley, I just want enough power to very quickly pass the slow boats on the highway. The 03RK has easily shot by 105mph so I am not sure why your bike can't. And I ain't tiny (250lbs).

...gene

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter at 105 MPH?