Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question.....pre-EPA SE mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Odd Job
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question.....pre-EPA SE mufflers

I know I can count on someone here onthis Forum for the right answer so heregoes.......I have a set of "The Good" Screaming Eagle SE Performance Mufflers, part number 65115-98B and wantto replace my V&H Ovals with them. My V&H Ovals are gettingtoo loud and are starting to interfere with my intercom and music. V&H says "quiet baffles for the Ovals are due out next year (I can't wait and need something now)

I emailed Supertrapp as I learned from this board that the Screaming Eaglesare theexact sameas their SE Mufflers.I asked if they have a replacement baffle and if they are interchangable with the Screaming Eagles. They gave me a part number ofP/N 100-65115 but did not say if they will work for sure, I've emailed them back with a few questions, but so far no return answer.

(In case soemone is wondering why I need baffles for the Screaming Eagles...just in case they too start getting a little loud for my old ears I can stuff in some new baffles for a quick fix...I don't like the sound of stockers).

My questionto everyone is:
(1) are the baffles on the Screaming Eagle 98B Mufflersreplaceable?
(2) will the Supertrapp SE baffles work in the 98B Screaming Eagles
(3) how do you get the baffles out of the muffler bodies? (pound them out from the other end?)
(4) any increase/decrease in performance I could expect?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
DB10881
Cruiser
Default RE: Question.....pre-EPA SE mufflers

My Supertrapp SE's have gotten quite a bit louder since i installed them a year ago...as a replacement for my too loud Ovals, which i still have and would put back on it a minute if V&H made quiet baffles.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a set of 65115-98 SE Performance Mufflers on my 99 FLHT. I have not noticed an increase in noise over time and I have 60,000 + miles on them. maybe as I get older, I can't hear as well? The right side muffler has discolored a little over time - Doesn't bother me - several HD trained mechanics across the country, after taking my bike fora test drive after oil change on severalx-country trips, have commented "hey, you got one of thegood ones" -I will never part with it...it's one of the good ones.

your questions, I don't know if the baffles are replaceable, don't know ifsame as v+h baffles, don't know how to get them out - but will say, the SE performance mufflers from that time period aregreat slip-ons.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Odd Job
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DB10881

My Supertrapp SE's have gotten quite a bit louder since i installed them a year ago...as a replacement for my too loud Ovals, which i still have and would put back on it a minute if V&H made quiet baffles.
Do you fellasfind the 98B's & SE's,after having them on for a while, still NOT AS LOUD as the Ovals?? It's been so long since I've heard them I do not remember....I love the Ovals and will wait for the quiet baffles but until that happens I'm relegated to using the 98B's...thanks for your replys!!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DB10881

I'm really curious how your SUPERTRAPP SE's could have gotten any louder over a year since they have mechanical steel baffles in them???????? I have a pair with well over 15,000 miles on them and they sound the same as the day I mounted them up. I'm thinking you may have HD SE's.

From Supertrapp website: "Slip-Ons have a race proven mechanical baffle that offers SuperTrapp’s trademark increase in horsepower and torque. Left and right hand bodies "

Old 05-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer

You should be able to re-pack the SEs and/or V&H mufflers. The reason they get louder is that the fiberglass packing burns out over miles. The cores/baffles will be baked in a bit butremoving the screws and a little wd-40 and a bump or two on a 2x4 should get the cores loose enough to pull out. Fiberglass packing can be bought at most Honda shops for their dirt bikes and is on ebay for about 7 dollars. Wrap the cores snug but not tight and hold in place with a wrap or three of masking tape then reinsert cores and screws. If you want even quieter than stock then go online and buy SILENT SPORT muffler packing. It lasts 3-4 times longer than most fiberglass and is significantly quieter.

Edit By quieter than stock I don't mean the stock HD mufflers, I mean quieter the the SE mufflers were with the original packing. And the SE performance mufflers that have not gotten any louder over the many miles are most likely the old performance mufflers that had mechanical steel baffles and did not have changeable tips.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Odd Job
Tourer

Moonrunner.....Thanks for the tip on re-wrapping the Vance and Hines Ovals.....that never crossed my mind on doing that....I knew someone would come through!!!!!

Have another Q. On my Screaming Eagles I only have the 3 screws that hold on my Billet Tips, the screwsgo throughholeson the mufflerbody and actually screw into thebaffle themselves. There are no other screws holding the baffle in. The baffle appears to run the entire length of the muffler body....Q is....are the baffles "free floating" in the bodys and are made to "slide" out? Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moonrunner

You should be able to re-pack the SEs and/or V&H mufflers. The reason they get louder is that the fiberglass packing burns out over miles.
The V&H Ovals do not have fiberglass packing.
I just bought new replacements for mine,they are1 piece steel.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Moonrunner
Tourer

I'm not familiar with every V&H pipe but some of them have packing and some do not. If they get louder after several miles, then that kind of tells me that they do indeed have packing. Steel mechanical baffles should only get louder from rusting out over many, many years. I see the V&H ovals are "blue proof" so I would assume the inner baffle is incased by an outer shield so they may or may not have fiberglass inside but I guess either way it may not be replaceable. I know for sure that the V&H fishtails, sideshots, bigshots, stepped drag pipes, shortshots, straightshots, longshots, and others have packing on the baffles so it kinda surprises me that they all wouldn't.

HD SEs. Again there are numerous models but I believe the only touring bike ones that are not repackable are the ones that don't have a removable tip. Once you remove those 3 screws, then wd-40 a little between shell and baffle then tap the cone of the baffle on a board. It should loosen up so you can slide it out. Those 3 screws are all that hold it in other than the burnt fiber inside will sort of bake it into place. but they will come out.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Odd Job
Tourer

Moonrunner...again thanks for the info!!!!

Got an email back from Supertrapp and they said their SE baffles will work on the Screaming Eagle 98B's and told me the same as you did about removing the screws and tapping the baffels out from the front of the pipe. They suggested using a steel rod and invert the muffler and insert the rod via the front end of the pipe and bang them out. The old baffle WILL BE unusable after that. Insert the new baffle and align screw holes on the muffler body and screw back on the billet tips and a "new 98B/SE muffler"!!

Also, got an email from Vance and Hines...the Oval baffles are not re-wrappable. They are wrapped with some sort of packing that is incased in a non-removable-non wrappable"membrane". The baffles may be removed but there is no other baffle to replace it with. They suggested I purchase a new baffle to replace the one I took out but again after riding will eventually return to what I didn't like in the first place and that's loudness. They said a new "quiet baffle" will be produced butwill be next year sometime.

Everyone..thanks for your suggestions, they were all good!!