Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 PM
1hagop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout

Had a conversation with my HD parts manager and he said do not buy one, they have had 95% return rate on them. I did not ask what the problem was but he was very serious about it. I purchased the oil temp gauge that replaces the air temp gauge. Works great!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FLHT

I have had mine for about 2 years with no problems but I dont use a pressure washer and I dont use an air blaster to dry, I think this is where a lot of the problems come from.
My problem was not using a presasure washer. I was caught in a downpour and the glass fogged over/battery died. The unit was returned. My second unit would not display oil level/temps correctly (jumped around). that did it for me. I need something that works, and not just in fair weather! It rains a lot here in NH!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1hagop

Had a conversation with my HD parts manager and he said do not buy one, they have had 95% return rate on them. I did not ask what the problem was but he was very serious about it. I purchased the oil temp gauge that replaces the air temp gauge. Works great!
Is it hard to install?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: madurodave

ORIGINAL: FLHT

I have had mine for about 2 years with no problems but I dont use a pressure washer and I dont use an air blaster to dry, I think this is where a lot of the problems come from.
My problem was not using a presasure washer. I was caught in a downpour and the glass fogged over/battery died. The unit was returned. My second unit would not display oil level/temps correctly (jumped around). that did it for me. I need something that works, and not just in fair weather! It rains a lot here in NH!
Unfortunately it probably rains even more here in Scandinavia[:@]

Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
IronLegend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johan96

Thanks for all the answers! I `ll guess I will pass!
It's up to you, and some have had good luck with them, but like I said, until the MoCo designs and analogue unitthat is dependable...basically, forget it or take your chances.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johan96

ORIGINAL: 1hagop

Is it hard to install?
No, but it is for FLH (touring) bikes, not Dynas. There are numerous threads here about installing the fairing-mounted gauges, including an alternate and better location for the sending unit.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: captjon37

Most are getting them wet when washing the bike so as long as you only ride in sunshine with low humidity with it covered in plastic it should work great.
I think this is the crux of the problem. I had two, the first bought in '98 or '99 when first introduced. The first lasted a week, and I was told there was a major problem and that they would let me know when it was fixed. One year later I got my second unit, a warranty adjustment, and it lasted three years. The problem was that it was sealed with a very thin, fragile o-ring, and it doesn't take much change in its consistency for it to pass water, and water kills the delicate electronics of the gauge. That's what happened to my second one, and after trying to revive it with surgery I threw it in the trash, refusing to buy another. I can't see continually rewarding HD by repeatedly buying a mediocre product at $100 a pop. Since they are electronic gadgets I presume they only have a 90-day warranty.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

Mine was Ok for about 6 months. However, shortly thereafter the sight glass filled with oil. I did not buy another.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Mine has been working fine for 6 months. Been ridden in many hours of rain and sat outside in many a downpour.

It has also been washed (with a hose, no nozzle).

Had no problem with its' function so far.

HOWEVER, I would not buy another. I would take the extra time and money to mount one up on my handlebars so that I could read it easily while riding.

This is what I am going to do if this one takes a crap, and even if it does not, I will eventually get a handlebar mounted oil temp gauge.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have one that was on the bike when I bought it. Have had no problems and bike has been washed with hard spray from a garden hose nozzle and also took a trip that included three days of torrential rain.

The negatives on it to me are that it shows error when you first shut down the engine and then I forget about checking it later after gassing up and it will show oil temp but not quantity when cold. Nothing wrong with it if it is already on the bike but I would not spend $135 for another one. But it does look nice.

Quick Reply: Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout