Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a long distance ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Advice for a long distance ride

I use 50 mph as a rule of thumb when planning legs on long trips.

700 miles = 14 hours

that is usually the max because I know I will need to get up and hit the road the next day and do it again.

So the legs run in the 500 to 600 range as a "normal" day.

YMMV

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am doing 6k over 25 days (18 riding days)this summer.
We are only going to average 300mi/day, with our longest day being about 400 miles. Our ridewill be all state routes or secondary roads and probably average about 40 mi/hr,so I think that will be fine.
Especially considering stopping at cool stuff along the way taking time out to fish or have a beer somewhere,and not be all frustrated setting up camp in the dark.
I think thisis about max for me if I want to stop and f around on the ride. Riding is fun, but so is recognizing whenyou are there and being smart enough to stop and enjoy it for a bit.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

In my book that would be pushing it. I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery. Also try to stay off the interstates if I can.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

The fun's going to end somewhere around the 500 mile mark. Give yourself another day and enjoy your time on the bike, instead of it being a chore.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: Merlin

You might want to consider the Amtrack AutoTrain for a leg of your trip. From Lorton,Va to Sanford, Fl or the reverse.
$89 per person. $115 for the bike. Almost 1000 miles by train - kinda kewl. Leaves at 4pm and arrive at at 8am - dinner and breakfast and all the beer/wine you can drink. Something a little different 1-800-SKIP-I95

I'm planning on taking a trip in a few weeks from south Florida.
The AutoTrain to Lorton Va. ride the Shenandoah Valley down to Ashville, NC, cross to Memphis, TN down the Natchez Trace to New Orleans and back down to south Florida. 'bout 2300 miles riding not including the train. Should take 'bout a week.

Aywhere from 250-500 miles per day.

NOTE: Pack your rain gear in your right saddlebag.
Get a cup holder and a small lightweight bike cover.
WTF? Someone's planning a trip and the advice is to take the freakin' train??? sorry - if you ever see my bike on a trailer, or a train, call 911 cause it's been stolen.

my planning has always worked out that 2 hours every 100 miles, including gas stops. I prefer to hit the road early a.m., and be checked into hotel by dinner time ( 6 pm ish). that allows approx 500 miles/day with full night's sleep each night. and, if planned properly, a day or 2 off every few days makes a huge difference.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Weavr99FLHT

ORIGINAL: Merlin

You might want to consider the Amtrack AutoTrain for a leg of your trip. From Lorton,Va to Sanford, Fl or the reverse.
$89 per person. $115 for the bike. Almost 1000 miles by train - kinda kewl. Leaves at 4pm and arrive at at 8am - dinner and breakfast and all the beer/wine you can drink. Something a little different 1-800-SKIP-I95

I'm planning on taking a trip in a few weeks from south Florida.
The AutoTrain to Lorton Va. ride the Shenandoah Valley down to Ashville, NC, cross to Memphis, TN down the Natchez Trace to New Orleans and back down to south Florida. 'bout 2300 miles riding not including the train. Should take 'bout a week.
WTF? Someone's planning a trip and the advice is to take the freakin' train???
sorry - if you ever see my bike on a trailer, or a train, call 911 cause it's been stolen.
Ok you got me. I only have a week for a 2500 mile bike ride and I actually want to take the AutoTrain. Something different...

For Example there are Carribean cruise ships that you can take your scoot on. You can spend the day ridingyour scoot in the mountians in Jamacia and many other of other ports o' call. It would probably be difficult to do that if you didn't put your scoot on the freakin' ship??? ROFL (I'm sorry I couldn't resist.)

Bottom line...it's your escape...do what you like, enjoy and have fun. Stay hydrated and be aware of your own stamina.
Do some 200-300 mile rides around your neck of the woods and build up some saddletime beforehand.

Be Safe, Ride Safe and keep your eyes on the horizon.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi,
I can give a bit of reality to this, along with a pal we left Barcelona in spain at 6am in the morning, arriving in London about 9pm in the evening. That is over 1000 miles in 15 hours, mostly on motorway, (Freeway).
Would i do it again ? NO
Best mileage to plan for a comfortable journeyIMO is around 200 - 300 miles on single two way roads and 300-600 on the freeway.

Just MHO

Cheers

Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,898 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I, too, budget about 50MPH for overall average time. I've done 850 miles in a day by myself (as noted, a passenger will slow you down) and I was beat. The last storm in S.D. pushed me over one lane and after I rode out of that one, I stopped at the next motel I could find. These days, we do about 400 miles a day and call it good. An occasional 500 if we are almost home or have a place to go already set up.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

RIDING MANY YEARS LOTSA MILES..

700 A DAY IS PUSHING IT.. ESPECIALLY THE 2ND OR 3RD DAY..
TRY 500 PER DAY SEE HOW IT GOES...! TAKE IT FROM THERE

GOOD LUCK

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Hounddogee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you all ridden the Florida coast and then headed towards Galveston.If so spent any time sleeping in State parks like on picnic tables or the YMCA etc.In another words how hard is it to bum around for a few weeks and do it cheap.Not every night but most.Distance per day traveled won't be a big thing,getting tan,a little bar hopping, no passenger etc.Any suggestions on how to travel with the minimum amount of gear but yet what is essential.

Quick Reply: Advice for a long distance ride