Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a long distance ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice for a long distance ride

my riding varies i guess, i like it all, back roads, freeway, city, as long as i'm on my bike.
i work 150 miles away from my home and ride my bike often, its all highway with traffic issues. i have no problems. i love a 200 mile day on the back rodes so i would think that the same time frame on the highway would make the milage fly by. like i said i have not done a truely "long distance run" before, but long for it.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
JustLoafin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that a comfortable saddle, hydration and a good nights rest before you leave will be big helps. The stock seat works well enough for me for most short trips but I add a Air-Hawk cushion for the long multi-day trips I use the saddlguard water bottle bags for 2 bottles and refill every fuel stop. And a good nights rest before the start. On a 1700 mile trip I would do in 3 days with a good 700 mile push the first day and split the rest. I've done 1750 in 2 days only because I hade to. Not recommended unless unless you are a IronButt-er!!!! Just watch for fatigue and if you are uncomfortable.........STOP!!!! Don't push it. Arrive Alive!!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

Before I had the bagger, I trailered my V-Rod to Sturgis from Michigan. It is a 20 hour drive. We left after work on a Friday night and at a gas station in Michigan we met a solo rider on a SPORTSTER. He was heading to Sturgis too and asked if we were. We talked for a while and he said that he was going to follow us there. We drove straight through and he made it 20 hours with only gas stops. I still don't know how the hell he did it... Hell I was dozing off driving a SUV and switching drivers.

So to each his own... It can be done, but not by ME!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride as far as you are comfortable with. I take a lot of breaks and I am comfortable with 5 to 600 a day. One of my longest days was about 720 and I was beat at the end, not safe.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to consider the Amtrack AutoTrain for a leg of your trip. From Lorton,Va to Sanford, Fl or the reverse.
$89 per person. $115 for the bike. Almost 1000 miles by train - kinda kewl. Leaves at 4pm and arrive at at 8am - dinner and breakfast and all the beer/wine you can drink. Something a little different 1-800-SKIP-I95

I'm planning on taking a trip in a few weeks from south Florida.
The AutoTrain to Lorton Va. ride the Shenandoah Valley down to Ashville, NC, cross to Memphis, TN down the Natchez Trace to New Orleans and back down to south Florida. 'bout 2300 miles riding not including the train. Should take 'bout a week.

Aywhere from 250-500 miles per day.

NOTE: Pack your rain gear in your right saddlebag.
Get a cup holder and a small lightweight bike cover.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I just did 680 miles one way to Myrtle Beach. Stayed off the freeways. It took 15 1/2 hrs and I was mentally whipped when I got there. I decided to break the return trip up into 2 days. Rode 8 hrs the first day and 6 hrs the second day. That was no problem. We knocked 1 1/2 hrs off the return trip because we took I95 part of the first day.
I don't think I would ever want to ride 15 hrs. + again.
I'm 61 but my riding buddy is 15 yrs younger and had no problem.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
tinker
Cruiser

You are doing this ride to ENJOY yourself - not some kind of self punishment!! So, ride until you feel you want to stop, then stop.

Good advice given about getting out on the freeway and just feeling out what your tolerance is. Everyone is different. I've done 1000 mile days a few times but they're a bit of a push. For me, 700 - 800 miles in a day (on the freeway) is doable, but I'm pretty tired at the end of the day.

My original point was that you should enjoy your riding. I enjoy the number of miles that I do, but others have different tolerances. You need to find what you tolerance is.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
JoeSwiatek
Advanced

Almost anyone can do an occasional 600 to 700 mile day. Are you having any fun? How many days in a row can you do it? I rest my case.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
sonic
Road Captain

It usually takes me about 7 and a half hours every 400 miles. That's a combo of interstate and state roads. I try to keep my days travel under 500 miles, more than gets into the beer drinking time!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
bacon225
Advanced

The long ones I have done so far.
1000 miles in 24 hours
1500 miles in 36 hours
1500 miles in 24 hours that was the hard one
These are all IBA rides
As far as a long trip the best one so far is 9,360 miles in 10 days camping the whole time.
The day after I got home some friends call and wanted me to join them on a ride it was hard to get back on but I did and we made another 600 and change ride.
The absolute longest and hardest was last fall due to a family emergence at home me and a friend rode from Moab UT to Laurel Ms non stop in 36 hours total with 29 of those moving.
I don't recommend it or condone it we were definately not on top of our game the last few hours and should have stopped.
The reason for the rides listed above was just to see if we can and we did. But when you push like this it takes a lot of the fun out of riding for sure.
To enjoy the ride and enjoy the scenery along the way 500 miles is a good goal for me I can keep it up day after day and still enjoy it but at the same time feel like I have accomplished something.

Quick Reply: Advice for a long distance ride