Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has replaced their handlebars on an '08 tour bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who has replaced their handlebars on an '08 tour bike

I just got my set of Wild1 bars in and am going to tackle this project next weekend. My question is for those of you who have replaced your handlebars on an '08 tour bike with the throttle by wire system.

I see that the TBW mechanism is located in the bar end and that the wiring for it runs internally. How did you deal with this when you replaced your bars? Does the connector at the end of the harness need to be dissassembled. It's hard to believe that HD has this system designed so that the connector would have to be assembled on the production line. They must have a system for quick connecting the throttle apparatus during assembly.

I also noticed that, on my Road Glide, there is a ton of extra wiring for all the handlebar controls under the fairing. I'm sure that with a little cutting of zip ties and rerouting that I woun't have to extend any of the harnesses.

Any input from you all would be appreicated.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Default RE: Who has replaced their handlebars on an '08 tour bike

I have changed my bars. You will not have to extend your harness. You do not have to take the connector in the fairing apart, as you can unhook the little green clip that connects the throttle sensor to the jumper harness. However, if you are internally wiring your Wild ones then you should replace the throttle sensor with the one for internally wired bars.....pn#32310-08 which does not contain the green clip as the stock one does.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Dawg. Just what I wanted to know. Looks like it back down to a couple of hours for the job.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to go against dawg because I KNOW he's one of the most knowledgeable people here. But when I put the Wild One's 517's on my RG I did need to go in to the fairing to get enough length out of the harness for each of the hand controls and the TBW. It was a bit time consuming. But I decided to cut/solder/shrinkwrap the wiring so that everything could be wired internally. The TBW harness did not need to be spliced since it has a connector that can be separated. The OEM TBW sensor connector did fit in the Chubby bars with little effort. Along with the harness for the right side hand controls.