Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:44 AM
ultrageezed
|
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

I've had my new UC for about 3 months....prior to that I was on a softail deluxe...and 2 shovelheads before that. On the softail prior bikes I didn't have any issues with low speed manuevering...it was something that just came naturally...didn't require any thinking. The ultra classic is a totally different riding experience .....one of the reasons I think is because of the height difference. I'm probably at least 3 if not 4 inches higher in the saddle and maybe a little bit closer to the gas tank.

I'm having problems with low speed manuevering....specifically turning. I've had a couple of MSF courses in the past, and I recently got the RLAP video. Incorporating the "dip" used to be so natural in the past on my other bikes that I never had to think about it.....but now it difficult for me. Maybe I'm over-thinking, I don't know...but I think I need to practice practice practice. My OL says she feels extremely safe with me, so that's a comfort.

I'm thinking of some kind of lower seat...a sundowner of some kind.... practicing some more in a parking lot...

While searching thru previous posts, someone had suggested finding a private instructor. That may be an option as well, I'm in the Nashville TN area if anyone can recommend one.

Does anyone have any experience at this...or any positive suggestions....training wheels are not an option.

Thanks to everyone...this is a great forum.

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:48 AM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

ride like a pro dvd best thing for yeah...... practice, practice, practice

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:48 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No offense, but IMO, a lot of your issues are perceived instead of real. The Touring models are the best low speed manuevering bikes HD makes due to the reversed triple trees. The Touring models have zero flop unlike the other bikes.

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:51 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

biggest tip I can give ya, when your in this situation,,, do NOT stare at the front of your front tire!!!
and actually, speed is your friend on these bikes,,,lot easier to control when rollin,vs. duck walkin.

find a buddy and a empty parkin lot

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:52 AM
pokeraddict
Cruiser

I bought a lowering block off ebay for about $60. Lowered the rear by 2 1/4" and made low speed manuevering much easier and it's lots cheaper than a new seat.

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:04 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Use all those RLAP techniques, and remember to Turn Your Head, and place your Chin On Shoulder. At slow speeds you have to exaggerate everything, especially head and eye placement. And remember to look where you want to go. If your eyes wander anywhere else, that is where you are going to go. If you look out, you go out, if you look down, you go down.

Good luck

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:14 AM
Copper Hog
Cruiser

I found the I had the same issues. Spent 10 years on a Heritage and found the Ultra to be completely different. In the end, probably better, still different. Two things from RLAPthat helped me the most were absolutely no front brake inlow speed turns. Second, don't look down. Always look where you are going, never where you are.

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:45 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you got a bunch of great answers, now I have some questions. Does the bike fit you? Bars, seat, height to ground etc. It might help looking at some of that stuff which will become much more critical at low speeds. At higher speeds it just gets uncomfortable on long rides. Maybe you go to the dealer tell him what you used to ride comfortably and ask him to try to match some of those components. I spent a couple of thousand trying to do that on a Vulcan Classic and it never worked because the bike was not balanced well for me... a friend rides one and does great... but not me. When I bought my FLHRC I changed the bars and the seat to get me in a wrapped position so I am sitting in the bike and not on top of it.

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:46 AM
bacon225
Advanced

I am guessing it just the difference compared to your last bike.
I have had shovel heads, Softtails, Dyna glide and Ultras
By far the ultras have been the best at low speed stuff you just need to get use to the extra mass and don't let the size intimidate you.
Practice, Practice, Practice,

Old 05-26-2008 | 09:02 AM
AzBlu
Advanced

My 08 Ultra is fantastic in slow speed manuvers. Remember to keep your speed up just a bit, it stabilizes the M/C, TURN YOUR HEAD, and shift your weight (counter weight). Find an empty parking lot to practice in. The Ultra can easliy make u-turns in two spaces.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra