Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008 | 08:17 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

I was having some difficulties getting used to my RK last year. Things have improved with practice, but the biggest change has been my self confidence and going just a tad faster. Ultimately it was in my head. The bike felt huge so I was acting like it was a monster. Once I started to throw it around a little, everything started clicking.

Old 05-30-2008 | 10:28 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: nemick

I was having some difficulties getting used to my RK last year. Things have improved with practice, but the biggest change has been my self confidence and going just a tad faster. Ultimately it was in my head. The bike felt huge so I was acting like it was a monster. Once I started to throw it around a little, everything started clicking.
One thing I tell the RLAP riders is that some speed is needed. No rocket ship Ninja speed, but more of a "Controlled Agression", or "Attitude". You ride the bike, the bike does not ride you. And yes, much of it is MIND GAMES, with your mind playing the game on you.

Old 05-30-2008 | 10:56 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I could add these few things. Stay away from the front brake......use only the rear for ultra slow maneuvers. Use of the throttle/clutch/rear brake in a seamless way will get you through almost anything. Use your torso to change the center of gravity, and a bit of dragging your knee (well almost anyway) will pull you around the tight corners. It may look a bit funny.....a guy on a H-D Touring bike hanging his knee out like the sport riders.....but it works.....well it helps lets put it that way.

I dont know what else other than practice and confidence.

Old 05-30-2008 | 11:12 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Lose the garbage box for a while.

Old 05-30-2008 | 11:53 PM
CasperHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a Honda VTX 1300 to my Ultra and the Ultra feels easier to maneuver at slow speeds. It surprised me how easily I adapted to it. I think the VTX has a longer wheelbase which makes tight turns harder. The only problem I was having was the clutch/throttle balance to keep a slow speed for so long in tight turns. But for you, that shouldn't be such a change. From my Honda to HD it was a noticeable difference. Plus shaft to belt makes a difference.

It sounds like it was all in your head and you gained more confidence after you got some practise. We could all use that. I did donuts while waiting to pick my g/f up from her work a while back. It helped a lot.