Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008 | 09:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra

"but I think I need to practice practice practice."

You already have your answer. The RLAP techniques work, but they require practice for proficiency. A dip, alone, isn't going to do the trick without use of the friction zone, turning the head, etc.

Old 05-26-2008 | 09:43 AM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the bike fit you well as stated before is the starting point.
Never under-estimate the obvious, the weight of the tour pack and the fact it is high and far back does some funny things to the bike's handling. It just takes practice and experience. Also, as stated before, the front end geometry makes a huge difference in the handling. The dip as you call it is much easier to do on a Softail, Dyna or the like since the rake does it for you after the initial start. The reversed triple tree and reduced rake of the bagger requires a little more effort as you are "countering" the bikes natural tendency to straighten out. It takes a "leap of faith" at first to properly spin a bagger. Trust in your ability and most of all, trust in your scooter, she'll take you thru the tightest of turns once you get to know her better.

U

Old 05-26-2008 | 09:57 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look where you want to go, feet up. since you go where you look never kook down, I put on a Mustang 2 peice seat and it puts you down in the bike not high on top of it.then all you need is a LOT of practice but this bike can do more than you can. it can in a circle scrape floor boards on either side during the entire turn, lock to lock.

Old 05-26-2008 | 10:07 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

No offense, but IMO, a lot of your issues are perceived instead of real. The Touring models are the best low speed manuevering bikes HD makes due to the reversed triple trees. The Touring models have zero flop unlike the other bikes.
Totally agree--The tour models handle differently than any other bike I've ever ridden, but once mastered, are extremely easy to do slow speed turns. For me, it was just watching the RLAPvideo, and seeing how far the handlebars were cranked over at the same time as the extreme lean angle.

And if you carry a passenger--make sure he/she sits perfectly still during these manuevers !

Old 05-26-2008 | 11:05 AM
assassin307
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paniolo

Use all those RLAP techniques, and remember to Turn Your Head, and place your Chin On Shoulder. At slow speeds you have to exaggerate everything, especially head and eye placement. And remember to look where you want to go. If your eyes wander anywhere else, that is where you are going to go. If you look out, you go out, if you look down, you go down.

Good luck
Head and eyes up andaround...look where you wanna go. I agree, best pieces of advice!

Old 05-26-2008 | 11:06 AM
assassin307
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: assassin307

ORIGINAL: Paniolo

Use all those RLAP techniques, and remember to Turn Your Head, and place your Chin On Shoulder. At slow speeds you have to exaggerate everything, especially head and eye placement. And remember to look where you want to go. If your eyes wander anywhere else, that is where you are going to go. If you look out, you go out, if you look down, you go down.

Good luck
Head and eyes up andaround...look where you wanna go. I agree, best pieces of advice!

Oh and clutch / throttle control is always important too!

Old 05-26-2008 | 11:14 AM
izzi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can relate. i went from sportster to sportster chopper(8- over) to dyna, then the street glide. had a hard time trusting the bike and realized thru practice i need to trust myself.
allen.m is my local "rodeo" talent inspiration. i'm looking to be 1/2 this good some day.

Old 05-26-2008 | 01:41 PM
ultrageezed
|
Advanced

I appreciate all of your responses. I googled some local MSF class sites and found one near by at a local high school.The parking lot was set up as an MSF range....cool for me. The H.S. baseball coach was working on his field and asked me if I'd like to borrow some traffic cones....wayyyy cool....so I set them up and practiced...and practiced....and practiced.

I improved on all my techniques....low speed weaves with the dip....lots of friction zone work...short curves....multiple S-curves....emergency braking....as well as left and right turns. The practice helped and reminded me that my skills are still pretty good and that they do cross over to a bike with more mass than my old shovelheads and my softail.

Maybe this was a "head" thing...maybe not...but I'm better for the practice and can go out to that range anytime there's not a class running. I may look into taking the ERC there too. A couple of the instructors stopped by and gave me a few range tips as well (no charge)....it was 2 hours well spent. Thanks again to all of you.

Old 05-26-2008 | 02:05 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: izzi

i can relate. i went from sportster to sportster chopper(8- over) to dyna, then the street glide. had a hard time trusting the bike and realized thru practice i need to trust myself.
allen.m is my local "rodeo" talent inspiration. i'm looking to be 1/2 this good some day.
Agreed! Our bikes are almost always "way" more capable than we are. I'm also amazed that the front end doesn't washout when taken to such extreme angles. That's an impressive full lock turn but he'd better be careful. He's not going to have a right side foot board if he keeps that up for long!

Old 05-30-2008 | 07:57 PM
CherryHog
Road Master
From: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere

I went from a R100RS BMW to my Ultra. The handling was a little bit heavier, but suprisingly not as much as I expected. I've got 1,600 miles under me now on it and the low speed manuvers are feeling very comfortable. practice, practice.

Great looking ride by the way!

Quick Reply: low speed manuever difficulty on my ultra