Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Stage 1 but keep the warranty.- is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
SouthernAlberta
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Stage 1 but keep the warranty.- is it worth it?

I have a 2008 Road Glide and would like to do a stage 1. I see a lot of people on this forum adding true duals, non Harley exhaust systems, and non Harley air cleaners. I understand why you do it but in order to keep my 2 year warranty it appears that I need to stay with the SE upgrades. I am sure this is so Harley can take some of my hard earned cash.

Bottom line, what are your thoughts with the Harley stage 1 that includes the SE slipons ( the one that ends in 7A), SE air cleaner, and the fuel management upgrade. The things that I would like to get is a little louder and a little more performance. I don’t have a huge problem with the heat issue but we have not had extreamly hot weather yet.The heat thing is not that bad but will the fuel management upgrade have any effect?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 PM
omega5m14
Cruiser
Default RE: HD Stage 1 but keep the warranty.- is it worth it?

Don't have an answer for you but I'd love to know myself.
I have a year on my engine and the 5 yr extended plan.
How would these be effected if I did it with or without
using Screaming Eagle parts[sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're not limited to screamin eagle parts to maintain your warrantee at all.

It's mostly at the disgression of the dealer here. Check out the Magnussen Moss act.

Use the search feature here too.

If a dealer refuses a warranty claim because he claims that you have made modifications to your bike and that system is not where the problem lies, you should print this out and take him or her a copy. Only those systems that are directly affected by your modifications are affected.

This is a 1975 United States Federal Law which deals with consumer warranty coverage. It defines responsibilities for both the buyer and the seller of all consumer goods costing more than $25. A portion of this law applies to after market parts and modifications and how it affects your vehicle warranty.

For our purposes the law basically states that you have a right to use after market, non-OEM parts on your vehicle and still retain the factory warranty. However, if there is a failure and the manufacturer can show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part, they can deny coverage.

The important thing is that your dealer cannot VOID your entire warranty just because the part is on the vehicle. There have been cases where a dealer would tell a customer that their new vehicle had no warranty because it had an after market exhaust or other part. Granted, the exhaust or other part is not covered, however the rest of the vehicle is still under the normal warranty.

Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that after market equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

In large cities, there are always other dealers you can do business with. It's a good idea to find out about the most cooperative performance-oriented dealer available to you by checking with clubs, local groups, etc.

If you live in smaller communities, make sure that an uncooperative dealer knows that they are giving you plenty of reason to take you business elsewhere.

If you should have to do that, write the "manufacturer" to tell them that their dealer's activities have caused you to buy from another car company!

The bottom line is to talk to your dealer and get their feeling about after market mods. Some dealers are more prone to be ok with it than others. Your option is to find a dealer that will work with you and not against you for their profit.

If all else fails, tell them to put it in writing about the warranty being void and that you want it to be specific as to the reason. Chances are they will rethink the situation because you have them in the corner for the most part. A warranty can not be voided completely because of only one part. Only that part and any resulting damage from that part if any can be said to not be covered.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, the HD parts are of excellent quality and will make a noticeable improvement in performance. Many will argue that the HD Stage 1 Download isn't the best way to improve the air/fuel mixture on a Stage 1, but with HD parts I think it comes very close and is less expensive than the aftermarket fuel management systems. If I was going with aftermarket intake and exhaust, I would probably lean more towards the FuelPak, PCIII, etc because of their ability to be fine-tuned to a particular combination; but with HD parts, I think the download is sufficient. At least that's been my experience with an '07 Road King (64985 mufflers, SE Intake, and HD Download) and on my '08 Road Glide (103" Big Bore Kit, SE Intake, Stock Mufflers, and HD Download).

As for warranty, it seems that every dealer has a different story. One of my local dealers told me that the addition of even HD SE parts would void my warranty; the dealer that eventually got my business told me that if I buy it there, have them install it, regardless of brand they will honor the warranty. I suppose my advice would be to talk to your dealer and get his version of the warranty story - there are many floating around...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I had no issues with the Stage 1 download, SE air cleaner, and SE slip ons (old style). Never changed anything until I was forced to (someone hit me from behind and tore up my SE mufflers).

Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM
dbcooper
Banned

Do a 103 upgrade with cams & add the exhaust of your choice. Maintain your warranty along with a constant grin.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the SE tuner and air cleaner but D & D Big Boss slip ons and had it dyno tuned. I am very happy with the sound and increased hp and torque. There seeems to be a bit of an improvement with the heat but it still gets pretty warm. The only time I really noticed the heat was when I was stuck in stop and go traffic a few times last summer. I think in order to reduce the heat you have to adjust the fuel mixture to be richer.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the HD SE AC + 07A Muffs and Stage 1 download. Big difference, pulls harder.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM
larry5601
Cruiser

+1 uweldit. I like the 07A slipons. I can still hear the stop radio when cruising at 80.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 AM
acid_chipmunk
Tourer

Had the dealer do Stage 1, SE AC, and V&H Python pipes before we picked up the Ultra. We asked if anything would void the warranty, and they told us that that pipes would "technically" void it, but they stand behind them and the work. That was fine with us, especially since we got the extended warranty.

Quick Reply: HD Stage 1 but keep the warranty.- is it worth it?