Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Street Performance Slip on's NOTHING else, anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE Street Performance Slip on's NOTHING else, anyone??

I had the ones with the interchangeable end caps installed on my '07 RKC when I bought it. I'm not into really loud pipes but I honestly thought they sounded like crap.Made the bike sound like a friggin VW or somethin....only kept them for a few months. Sold them and put on a pair of Rinehart slip-ons. MUCH better sound. Not too loud but when you jump on the throttle it sounds like a HD not a VW or Goldwing.

All that said, pipes are very personal things. It is all about the sound that YOU like. My advice before you buy any pipes is to go to your dealer or somewhere where their are lots of bikes and walk around and listen to different pipes and ask questions. Most bikers love to talk about there bikes. Give it some time and you will find the ones that sound just right to YOU. Then go buy them.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wags1

I had the ones with the interchangeable end caps installed on my '07 RKC when I bought it. I'm not into really loud pipes but I honestly thought they sounded like crap.Made the bike sound like a friggin VW or somethin....only kept them for a few months. Sold them and put on a pair of Rinehart slip-ons. MUCH better sound. Not too loud but when you jump on the throttle it sounds like a HD not a VW or Goldwing.

All that said, pipes are very personal things. It is all about the sound that YOU like. My advice before you buy any pipes is to go to your dealer or somewhere where their are lots of bikes and walk around and listen to different pipes and ask questions. Most bikers love to talk about there bikes. Give it some time and you will find the ones that sound just right to YOU. Then go buy them.
These SE sure get mixed reviews! I agree going someplace like a dealer or rally of some sort and take a listen. The weather here in Milwaukee has kinda been crappy so I haven't been out too much to see or listen to other bikes. SuperTrapp SE's are kind of on my list now after the Screamin' Eagle SP have been getting bashed. My dealer that I buy ALL my stuff from says the SuperTrapp SE's are really good pipes. Still would like to hear them before buying them. I do have a had time spending $300 on the Screamin Eagles if they are going to sound that close to stock!

Thanks for all the replies. It's a hard typic to talk about since EVERYONE has a different tone we like to hear but I do think it's good conversation to hear what everyone likes..

Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
srf506
Advanced

I've never liked loud pipes. As far as them making you safer yeah maybe if the car behind you or right next to you is the one you're worried about. Otherwise, in today's sound suppressed sedans with their radios, cells and GPSs running you can't even hear an emergency vehiclemuch less a bike. Since I ride an ultra I like hearing my tunes playing too, so I don't want to be listening to my own noise either. Just my $.02 as I know I'm in the minority on this subject. I just don't think its a big deal setting off every car alarm on the block.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: srf506

I've never liked loud pipes. As far as them making you safer yeah maybe if the car behind you or right next to you is the one you're worried about. Otherwise, in today's sound suppressed sedans with their radios, cells and GPSs running you can't even hear an emergency vehiclemuch less a bike. Since I ride an ultra I like hearing my tunes playing too, so I don't want to be listening to my own noise either. Just my $.02 as I know I'm in the minority on this subject. I just don't think its a big deal setting off every car alarm on the block.
I agree with your $.02! Being a medic on a ambulance with a fire department you wouldn't believe the amount of people that don't hear us coming due to all the thing people are doing while driving. If they don't hear my ambulance coming they for sure aren't going to hear a HD with pipes of any sort. I'm looking for that perfect sound for my bike. That sound may not even exist since I don't even really know what it is. When I hear it I will know. I'm just not looking to spend a bunch of money to get that sound. At the end of the day I have a tour bike and don't want to ruin that with noise from my pipes. I may even just give up the hunt and just leave it stock?. My bike runs great now so it's a hard choice to jump in with new slip ons' that I may not like the sound of or make my bike run not so good.?.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
FLHX RIDER
Intermediate

Hey PWFD, that's exactly what I wanted so that's what I got with only the SE slip ons. I love the bike as is but just wanted a little deeper sound and for me these were the ticket. No difference in the way it runs or performance.
Hope this helps.