Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Street Performance Slip on's NOTHING else, anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: SE Street Performance Slip on's NOTHING else, anyone??

You should be OK with just the mufflers and no other mods. They don't increase the flow through the system that much, and the stock ECM should cover you. If you add a K&N filter or other high-flow intake, you will definitely want to adjust the fuel/air mixture with the HD Download or aftermarket tuner. But with stock intake, the mufflers will be fine and will provide a slightly improved exhaust tone.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:51 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm assuming your going to get the -07 part number and not the -08. I have a set of the -07's that I put on my bike. My wife is deaf in hear left ear and hear right is pretty sensitive to noise. Last year I was running a Supertrapp Supermeg with 16 disk and closed end cap which she just barely tolerated. My HQ touring build did 104/100 on the dyno with a so so tune, the guy wasn't the greatest tuner in the world. Over the winter I decided to switch to a HQ pro tuner and put 07 head pipes on along with the SE mufflers. To date I have about 1000 miles on it and my wife is very pleased with the noise level. I haven't put it on the dyno so I don't know what the difference in power will be. By the seat of the pants I don't feel like I lost much of anything, but then thats a pretty subjective statement because nobody's azz is that sensitive. Given that my build is at 10.1 compression they do have more bark than a stock bike will have with these mufflers on. They do have a nice low rumble to them and bark nicely when I jump on it. Another driving force for me to make a exhaust change is the wave of change that I'm pretty sure will take place across our country. With gas prices at stupid levels there are going to be more bikes ridden and with more ridden you will have those that think it has to be loud to sound like a Harley. This will pissoff the majority of the non riding public which will breed laws and other legislation at both the state and federal level to get the noise makers to tone it down. I figured I may as well start hunting something that is quieter and performs half way decent so I'm ahead of the curve rather being caught with my drawers down like a good many will. I predict that the guys with the longest faces will be those that tossed the stock head pipes in the dumpster or peddled them cheap on Fleabay, their going to need them once Uncle Sam and the States get their acts together and start cracking down. Enforcement will be pretty easy when all they have to do is look at the pipes and mufflers. If the mufflers state for off road or closed course competition only or don't carry the EPA legal stamp then their busted.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of your replies. I am a little stumped on the 08 part number thing though?. The is the part number I am looking to get 80491-07. Is this the right part number for my 07 EGC? I don't even see a 08 part number?. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?WebLogicSession=I66DMzcWu1v5relKrY 3e3pZIcgZV8DxozfUNWaxk4ixVp8ToXNg8!-2027293786!hdijunapppr09.ihd.hd!7005!8005&PROD UCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448769844&FOLDER%3C%3Efo lder_id=2534374302519159&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_i d=2534374302519159&bmUID=1211808259952&bmL ocale=en_US

Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kry226

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

2 words.... They..... Suck. Waste of money. Period
Maybe they're perfect for what he's looking for? If you're looking for big drag pipe sound, well, then...they probably suck.

Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure PWFD wasn't looking to blow anybody's doors off with his pipes.

But if you think they suck based on what he's looking for, tell the man why. Be a little helpful at least.
When I got my Fat Boy last year my salesman let me hear both. Of course we were inside the showroom and even stock sounds good indoors. I had them put the SE slipons before I left. On the road they just are not loud at all. The sound is not great either. Tinny just cruddy sound IMO. I only had them on for 2 weeks then went to the V&H Big Radius. I was just pissed and will never do slip ons again. But then again Rush does get good reviews here.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

They work for me.

I installed them at the same time with the SE Stage I air filter. The first thing I noticed was definitely a deeper sound that got louder as the RPM’s increase and no more “blub,blub,blub..” back pressure during deceleration.

I ran this set up for several months without a SERT and had no complaints. Parched inner thighs steered me toward the SERT.

The SE slip-ons are a little louder and definitely sound better than the stock mufflers. I have grown to appreciate a little quieter ride; my last scoot had open tuned headers.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the SE slip-ons.

One more thing: If you install these slip-ons yourself, install new clamps. I learned the hard way after the parts guy said, “Nah, you can just use the old ones”.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: PWFD

Thanks for all of your replies. I am a little stumped on the 08 part number thing though?. The is the part number I am looking to get 80491-07. Is this the right part number for my 07 EGC?
That is the correct part number.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 80491-07's and am very happy. Nice deep rumble. No "tinny" sound.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
PWFD
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bobros

Did you do anthing else to your bike or just put the SE slip on's on?.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, SEAC and SERT
ORIGINAL: PWFD

ORIGINAL: bobros

Did you do anthing else to your bike or just put the SE slip on's on?.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
milo8155
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also installed part # 80491-07 on my 07 SG. I love the sound, not too loud and just enough to sound like a harley....although after some miles they seem to be a little louder? They also won't upset the public....I ride on trips(300-400) short and some longer(3900) and I couldn't be more happy! I would recommend them, and I haven't done anything else...andI get great gas mileage.

milo8155
07 FLHX
03 FXST
Collierville,TN

Quick Reply: SE Street Performance Slip on's NOTHING else, anyone??