Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:28 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: synthetic oil

they are all the same. Just change your oil every 5000

Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AMSOIL ALL THREE

Old 05-26-2008, 06:36 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

AMSOIL.....the wonder oil LOL

Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Road King Craig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MEN,
Ive been burning Amsoil in My dirt bikes and atvs FOR NEARLY 25 years with outstanding performance and long living enginesand nowMy 1st Brand new H-D will also be fed Amsoil, They know OIL !
Tj

Old 05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

they are all the same. Just change your oil every 5000

I agree. These oil discussions are ridiculous. If you have a favorite brand, good for you, use it but don't try to act like it is so much better than other brands. That's ignorant.

I too have been using internal combustion engines for a very long time and I have used many different brands but never had an oil related engine problem. Proper, timely maintenance is the key, not brand of oil.

And, by the way, Venezuela is not a Communist country. It is one of the few countries in this Hemisphere that has an open popular election. May not like who they elect but that happens in this country too.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

I agree. These oil discussions are ridiculous. If you have a favorite brand, good for you, use it but don't try to act like it is so much better than other brands. That's ignorant.

I too have been using internal combustion engines for a very long time and I have used many different brands but never had an oil related engine problem. Proper, timely maintenance is the key, not brand of oil.

And, by the way, Venezuela is not a Communist country. It is one of the few countries in this Hemisphere that has an open popular election. May not like who they elect but that happens in this country too.
Thank you. Truth is a good thing, though not all want to hear it. Claiming a particular brand of oil is best for every application under every circumstance is faulty, to be kind. The real story is that any brand of modern synethic oil will protect your engine or tranny very well, so I feel the right criterion is to pick from among the usual suspects based on price and availability.

I recently saw the tear-down of two 2000 FLH TC88's, both for big-bore and cam upgrades. One had 60k that had run Mobil 1 15w50 and the other 50k on Amsoil 20w50. There was no discernible wear from either engine from a visual inspection or micrometer measurement. The piston coating was even unscathed from both engines. The Mobil 1 cost about half that of the Amsoil, but both seemed to be doing the trick. I used Royal Purple in my old RK and after 106k miles the heads had never been removed, it used no more oil than when new and fully broken-in, and had 160/160 static compression on the last test conducted in 2006. It was 155/160 in 1998 when the first test was done.

As you said, Chavez is an elected leader of a sovereign nation, and like some other leaders I can think of he often lies, spreads innuendo, bloviates, promotes conflict, and postures to please his electoral base. If we boycott products based solely on this we may not buy anything, even from the most familiar of origins.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
jefftrammel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

txfxstrider- You state: "I agree. These oil discussions are ridiculous. If you have a favorite brand, good for you, use it but don't try to act like it is so much better than other brands. That's ignorant. "

NOT TRUE.....Oils do break down at different rates. My father is a dealer of a product called PETRON. It is a product that you add to oil (like SLICK 50)...but it treats METAL...not OIL. We used to demonstrate this at car shows and the like. We would use any and all brands of oil, whatever the customer wanted to see. We had a machine that used a spinning race that was in an oil bath (which ever oil the person wanted to see) and then would use a torque wrench type of lever with a round roller bearing locking agianst the rolling race to simulate metal to metal wear. Whether you want to believe it or not....AMSOIL IS FAR SUPERIOR to ANY OIL out there when it comes to the pressure it takes it to break down. Most oils were breaking down in the 25-35 LB/FT range. Amsoil was always outperforming them breaking down in the 50-55 LB range.....and it always left a MUCH SMALLER SCAR on the bearing than any of the other oils.

This isn't one mans OPINION OR FAVORITE....this was REAL WORLD TESTING. You can use any brand you want. Yes, changing oils at proper intervals is important...but I can also tell you from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....we use AMSOIL in all our personal vehicles and our company vehicles (about 12 vehicles). We only change a filter every 3-5K and change the OIL at 25,000. Never had a problem with any of the vehicles due to oil. REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE...not OPINION!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: jefftrammel

txfxstrider- You state: "I agree. These oil discussions are ridiculous. If you have a favorite brand, good for you, use it but don't try to act like it is so much better than other brands. That's ignorant. "

NOT TRUE.....Oils do break down at different rates. My father is a dealer of a product called PETRON. It is a product that you add to oil (like SLICK 50)...but it treats METAL...not OIL. We used to demonstrate this at car shows and the like. We would use any and all brands of oil, whatever the customer wanted to see. We had a machine that used a spinning race that was in an oil bath (which ever oil the person wanted to see) and then would use a torque wrench type of lever with a round roller bearing locking agianst the rolling race to simulate metal to metal wear. Whether you want to believe it or not....AMSOIL IS FAR SUPERIOR to ANY OIL out there when it comes to the pressure it takes it to break down. Most oils were breaking down in the 25-35 LB/FT range. Amsoil was always outperforming them breaking down in the 50-55 LB range.....and it always left a MUCH SMALLER SCAR on the bearing than any of the other oils.

This isn't one mans OPINION OR FAVORITE....this was REAL WORLD TESTING. You can use any brand you want. Yes, changing oils at proper intervals is important...but I can also tell you from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....we use AMSOIL in all our personal vehicles and our company vehicles (about 12 vehicles). We only change a filter every 3-5K and change the OIL at 25,000. Never had a problem with any of the vehicles due to oil. REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE...not OPINION!
The so-called "wear-ball" tests touted by Amsoil and other brands are not valid tests for engine oils. These are designed for gearboxes and differentials, and the results from these tests are not conclusive as to which oil will protect your engine best. I've also personally seen these tests performed on the oil I use (not Amsoil) and it produces results superior to everything pitted against it, even Amsoil, but it has nothing to do with my decision to use that particular brand. It is based on the fact that I buy it at wholesale and the distributor delivers it to my door, not to mention the fact that it is an excellent product like the other brands typically thrown around in these discussions.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

My "REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE" running internal combustion engines, not performing sales demonstrations, has proven to me that every major brand of oil that I have used for over fifty years has done it's job and protected the engines from other than normal wear or over heating. If Amsoil is better at something than another synthetic oil so be it, but is that necessary. I'm just saying that there is no need to worry oneself to death over which brand of oil to use because all the major brands are good.

I also think 'REAL WORLD TESTING" and "REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE" happen on the road, in this matter, and not at a demo or in the lab. At least in my world and my life.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My! Aren't we all PASSIONATE about our opinions on oil! What with all the YELLING in CAPS! Wow! It's just oil guys. This is 2008. Any good brand name oil these days will protect your engine. Both fossil and synthetic and even blends. Believe it---or not.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil