Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Auxillary Lighting Kit installation. PICS ADDED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Custom Auxillary Lighting Kit installation. PICS ADDED!

Bought the Custom Auxillary Lighting Kit and will install it myself. I've read the instructions and seems alot of cutting and splicing. I would appreciate any feedback on tips, tricks, or other tidbits of info before I dive into this project in an attempt to ease the pains this project may bring.[&:]

Many thanks in advance.

Pic of the Lighting Kit:

Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Custom Auxillary Lighting Kit installation. Any tips?

1. Have a slotted 9/16" socket for tightening the nut that secures the passing lamps to the bracket. Easy to make by grinding a 1/4"-3/8" slot about an inch or so long on a cheap deep socket. The passing lamp wire passes through a threaded tube (like a household lamp uses) and the wire passes through the nut that secures it--the slotted socket allows the wire not to be pinched between the threaded tube and nut. Just do 1/2 turns, remove the socket to free the wire, and repeat until the nut is secure. If you don't remove the socket and simply ratchet away,the passing lamp wire will be wrapped around the socket and tear from the stress.

2. Use WD-40 as a lubricant to thread the wiring throught the bracket.

3. Curiously, the turn signal wire colors are not specific to right or left turn signal IIRC, so label them before cutting and splicing.

4. Stagger the cutting and splicing to avoid having a large bundle of spliced wires.

5. Cover/pad the front fender in the off-chance you drop something on it that could damage the paint/clearcoat.

Ironic, since I am removing mine this week-end and will be listing it for sale in the classifieds--bought Motolights and plan to have the fairing air-brushed--don't want the passing lamps interfering with the artist's "canvas" so to speak.

Good luck, Darren. Incidentally, IMO the aux light kit is a huge improvement over the stock, non-chrome towel bar bracket--you'll like it a lot.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No splicing required. Just cut the insulation off the three wires coming out of the bullet T/S's to run them throught the bracket then I use a single piece of heat shrink to cover them and the gray pass lamp wire after they leave the bracket. Trim all 4 wires to the correct length and put the terminals on. A 9/16" deep socket with a cutout for the pass lamp wire is a MUST. Snap-On makes one for about 45.00 or you could cut a 5.00 Craftsman. Its all easy as pie!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

All exceptional tips and much appreciated!

These little "clips" that must be used, am I going to need the special tool to apply these to the end of the wires? I used a set of special pliers at the Harley shop when I built my taillight wiring harness, is this the same pliers I'm going to need?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I installed the HD PN 69227-04A Custom Auxiliary Lighting Kit, not the one you have in your original post--that one is for the Street Glide and includes a spot lamp switch and pins for connections. My kit used butt splice connectors for the turn signals, etc. If you have pin connectors, which the SG kit uses, then you would use the same crimping tool used for the tail light pins.

I used a Philmore WS26 crimping tool for those pin and socket connections when doing a lot of wiring on my police model EG for various projects: just google Philmore WS26 for online vendors--I bought mine at a Fry's Electronics store for 7.99.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:48 AM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

1. Have a slotted 9/16" socket for tightening the nut that secures the passing lamps to the bracket. Easy to make by grinding a 1/4"-3/8" slot about an inch or so long on a cheap deep socket. The passing lamp wire passes through a threaded tube (like a household lamp uses) and the wire passes through the nut that secures it--the slotted socket allows the wire not to be pinched between the threaded tube and nut. Just do 1/2 turns, remove the socket to free the wire, and repeat until the nut is secure. If you don't remove the socket and simply ratchet away,the passing lamp wire will be wrapped around the socket and tear from the stress.

2. Use WD-40 as a lubricant to thread the wiring throught the bracket.

3. Curiously, the turn signal wire colors are not specific to right or left turn signal IIRC, so label them before cutting and splicing.

4. Stagger the cutting and splicing to avoid having a large bundle of spliced wires.

5. Cover/pad the front fender in the off-chance you drop something on it that could damage the paint/clearcoat.

Ironic, since I am removing mine this week-end and will be listing it for sale in the classifieds--bought Motolights and plan to have the fairing air-brushed--don't want the passing lamps interfering with the artist's "canvas" so to speak.

Good luck, Darren. Incidentally, IMO the aux light kit is a huge improvement over the stock, non-chrome towel bar bracket--you'll like it a lot.
#2 woulda been good to know when i did mine last year. good post.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:48 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl don't forget to show us your Moto Light when there done.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:50 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks Carl and Greg! Getting started now, wish me luck!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Piece of cake on an FLHT! Take off old, put on new. Only had to splice the passing lamp wires inside the buckets since the stockers have the Delphi connector vs. spade.

Custom Aux. Lighting Kit = $289 retail(thank goodness for HD discount)[&:]
Smoked Bullet turn signals = $69 retail
Look after assembled =
PRICELESS!!!!![sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

The WD-40 trick was a LIFESAVER!! I couldn't imagine doing the job without that tip.[&:][&:]
Thanks again fellas!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

CONGRATS, DARREN--don't forget to post pics.

MassHD: Late this morning I removed my Custom Auxilliary Light Kit and installed the SG brackets to remount the turn signals. So the turn signals are done and working fine.

I'm taking a break now before I go back to install the Motolights. I need to check the wiring harness layout since the Motolight installation uses the Acc plug under the seat for power and switch for the relay--the lights are powered directly from the battery positive terminal and ground lugin front of the battery.

Then it's on to the Cobra WX ST 75 CB installation (need to find a place to mount the connector box); already installed the HD CB antenna mountingkit intended for Street Glides and Road Glides.

Quick Reply: Custom Auxillary Lighting Kit installation. PICS ADDED!