Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008 | 08:24 PM
PA SILVERBACK
|
Tourer
Default Wheel Bearing Size

Anyone know if Ness Wheels 21" front and 18" rear... Will be the same size as Factory wheels on a Street Glide ???

Had My Wheels Powder coated and the Guy didn't Press the Bearings all the way in, And the Spacer ate them Up [:@]

Now It's Memorial weekend, Nice weather, And I can't ride unless I find Bearings,, Just looking for some input, So I know what Direction to go in the Morning ..

Old 05-23-2008 | 08:41 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Wheel Bearing Size

Not quite sure what you are asking....but factory wheels on a street glide are 16 inch, both front and rear.

Old 05-23-2008 | 08:44 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Also, you don't say what year bike you have. Street Glide bearings the past few years up through '07 are 1 " front and rear. The '08's howeverhave gone to mm

A good place to check for bearingswould be your Harley dealer....

Old 05-23-2008 | 09:22 PM
PA SILVERBACK
|
Tourer

I'm wonderiing if the Bearing size in a Factory Front Wheel, Is the Same Size as In an Aftermarket Wheel.. I know th ID size will Be the Same (1") , But what about OD and Thickness..Thanks

Old 05-23-2008 | 09:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The best source of information on the axle size/bearing size of an aftermarket wheel would be the manufacturer/distributor of the wheel wouldn't it? Don't you order aftermarket wheels by telling the vendor what bike the wheels are going on, and the wheel is intended to be a direct replacement--with rotors that will work with your calipers, etc.?????

Old 05-23-2008 | 09:33 PM
PA SILVERBACK
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The best source of information on the axle size/bearing size of an aftermarket wheel would be the manufacturer/distributor of the wheel wouldn't it? Don't you order aftermarket wheels by telling the vendor what bike the wheels are going on, and the wheel is intended to be a direct replacement--with rotors that will work with your calipers, etc.?????
Yes on All of the Above,,, BUT.....What I'm wondering, Is the ID of the Hub on my Ness Wheels, The same as the ID HUB On Factory Wheels... I don't Have any Factory Wheels laying around to Check That Diameter .....

I know the ID on the Bearings are the Same, But Not Sure about the OD

Old 05-23-2008 | 10:12 PM
uweldit
Road Captain

I guess I'm wondering how an aluminum axle spacer ate a bearing?

Did you put the spacers in the right place? --sorry don't know your level of expertise.

Old 05-23-2008 | 10:38 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree with Harleypingman,....Why not ask the manufacturer? You should be ordering wheels for the model and year of the bike you have. The manufacturer should be providing the correct wheel to fit what you have--they have to keep up with the changes or their products wouldn't sell.

You still haven't even told us what year bike you have. There is very distinct verbage in the Harley catalogs that the '08 wheels only fit '08 models. Not only were bearings changed, but they also went to Brembo brakes on the '08's.

Old 05-24-2008 | 02:18 PM
PA SILVERBACK
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: uweldit

I guess I'm wondering how an aluminum axle spacer ate a bearing?

Did you put the spacers in the right place? --sorry don't know your level of expertise.

We were guessing on what screwed the bearings,, We thoiught That the Bearings were'nt pressed all the way in, And the Spacer somehow got cocked in there,, Just a Guess..The Wheels only have 2k miles on them.

Turns out that the Powdercoater PRESSED them out and thenPressed them back in, Screwed them up pretty bad ,23 miles and the wheel was growling....

07 street glide 1" axle