Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra leaking oil out top of primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008 | 12:28 PM
soon to be
|
Road Captain
Default Ultra leaking oil out top of primary cover

I have an 05 ultra with 3,000 miles on it. I bought it with 1900 miles....

The day i bought it, after the ride home, I noticed oil had leaked out (top side)primary cover betweeen cover and engine case, and down the side of the cover.

Note - I am not talking about the inspection cover or derby cover.

I checked and adjusted all the bolts for proper torque. It still leaked. I ordered and replaced the gasket, tighen the bolts in the proper order....i was happy. That is, until i rode the bike....still leaks, same place.

We are not talking alot of oil here. Is it though enough oil after a days ride to see it has run down the side of the cover. Before I take it apart again and check for flatness....any one else ever heard of this problem. If so what did you find?

thanks for the help!

Arite

Old 05-23-2008 | 12:43 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Ultra leaking oil out top of primary cover

Maybe use a small amount of gasket sealer?

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:41 PM
soon to be
|
Road Captain

OK....if I use gasket sealer....I am thinking i have to go around THE ENTIRE edge of the cover so it tightens up and seals evenly, right?

Or,are you suggesting only usingin the area it is leaking?

This is one of the reasons I posted....HDmanauldoes not say to use gasket sealers. Working on Metric bikes all my life, they almost always say use gasket sealers when appliying gaskets when putting parts together....gofigure!

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:49 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

you are positive it is leaking from the outer and inner primary mateing surfaces?

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:51 PM
soon to be
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

you are positive it is leaking from the outer and inner primary mateing surfaces?
YES!

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:55 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

If your used to wrenching on Metrics, then you know how good hondabond and yamabond are. On my primary I alwys use it and go around the entire gasket. Wroks great, fills in all the gaps and keeps it leak free...

Old 05-23-2008 | 02:32 PM
soon to be
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

If your used to wrenching on Metrics, then you know how good hondabond and yamabond are. On my primary I alwys use it and go around the entire gasket. Wroks great, fills in all the gaps and keeps it leak free...
understand completely!

Old 05-25-2008 | 05:05 PM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: soon to be

I have an 05 ultra with 3,000 miles on it. I bought it with 1900 miles....

The day i bought it, after the ride home, I noticed oil had leaked out (top side)primary cover betweeen cover and engine case, and down the side of the cover.

Note - I am not talking about the inspection cover or derby cover.

I checked and adjusted all the bolts for proper torque. It still leaked. I ordered and replaced the gasket, tighen the bolts in the proper order....i was happy. That is, until i rode the bike....still leaks, same place.

We are not talking alot of oil here. Is it though enough oil after a days ride to see it has run down the side of the cover. Before I take it apart again and check for flatness....any one else ever heard of this problem. If so what did you find?

thanks for the help!

Arite

Put Hylomar sealant on the gasket.
I always use it

Old 05-26-2008 | 04:42 AM
dpdorty
Stage IV

I had the same issue, weeping oil from the upper portion of the cover. Since the bike wasunder warranty at the time, I took it to my local dealer for repair.They retorqued the bolts but the gasket still weeped oil.I decided to take care of it after that. I drained all of the fluid, thoroughly cleaned the cover and engine mating surfaces withpaper towels and solvent then applied a light coating of grease to both sides of the gasket. Reinstalled the cover and torqued the bolts to spec per the HD service manual. That was nearly 10 years ago and the weeping hasn't returned.

Old 05-26-2008 | 05:19 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

What Big Peter said!

Quick Reply: Ultra leaking oil out top of primary cover