Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about the EG Police model or EG Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
curtiscalderon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about the EG Police model or EG Ultra Classic

Hello everyone. I have a chance to get an FLHTP for a few thousand below the retail. I believe I can get it for around 15k before TTL. I like the Ultra classic with the radio and tour pack and all the extras it has compared to the police model. There would be close to a $6000 difference in the prices of the two. From the looks of what I've read around here, it seems that to add all the extras to the police model, it may not be worth it. I most likely won't be paying anyone to do any of the labor as I never have had to on my current bike and mostly on any of my cars. So, labor costs being nil, is it worth it to get the police model or just pay the extra and get the Ultra Classic with everything already basically done to it? I guess for those who bought the police bikes and have changed them into more of an Ultra, was it worth it? The police bikes have the bigger engine and lots have said the seat is comfy. The extra electrical output is nice I suppose so you can add most anything you want and not have to worry about it. What are the other big benefits of the Police bike? The nice thing about getting the police soon is that I can save the $6000 upfront and change it over little by little and that makes the financial hit much less. The nice thing about the Ultra is that I don't have to do much once I have it except maybe upgrade the pipes and add a few little things here and there. Anyhow, any opinions are welcome because I'll be making my choice in the next few months if not sooner. I can put an order in for an 09 police bike and get it later summer, at least that is what the dealer has told me. The salesman I'm working with has never given me false info and seems to know what he's talking about, but hey maybe you guys know more about this stuff. Thanks.

Curtis

Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: A question about the EG Police model or EG Ultra Classic

Adding handlebar controls of a radio to a police bike is a chore--not difficult but definitely not a plug and play installation because of the different wiring and handlebar switcheson the police bike. I added it to mine and wrote-up the project here:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1557679/tm.htm

Also, adding CB/Intercom, rear speakers is very expensive even on a civilian EG Standard/Classic to duplicate the Ultra set-up.

I don't know how difficult it would be to add cruise control to the '08 throttle by wire police models; on my bike it required some additonal wiring--again not a plug and play project--but check to see how it would be done on a newer bike.

I'm very happy with my '04 FLHTPI and I've enjoyed working on my bike--adding what I wanted from time to time. However, most HD owners don't want these projects and the homework that is required to accomplish them.

The cost difference between the police model and Ultra will be greatly diminished if you want all or nearly all of the Ultra's bells and whistles. It's really up to you to place a value on the importance of those bells and whistles.

On a personal note, I've ridden virtually all of the HD '08 models repeatedly, including Ultras,leading Demo day rides at my dealership twice in the past two months and haven't ridden anything that stirred me to consider trading my bike. But I can understand why many would not want the work associated with owning a police bike and adding radio, cruise, etc.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 AM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my advice would be, exactly what my wife told me. Get what you want, don't settle for less. You will not be happy getting less then you want.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
BOSSMAN
Advanced

Not sure if you're a sworn member but, I found that dealers give a pretty good deal to coppers on the Peace Officer Special Edition. I picked up an '07 Ultra POSE in July '06 for about 2-3 grand under the other Ultra's on the floor. Like Harleypingman said, adding the bling later is a lot of work and a ton of dough.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
curtiscalderon
6th Gear

sweet, thanks for all the replies. It all will help to make the decision easier. It seems like the cost difference between what I save on the police bike and what I want to do to it might not be much, in which case, much better to just buy the ultra already done. I like working on my current bike, but I do like riding it even more. Thanks for the replies and also, I'll ask my salesguy what kind of discount he would give on the POSE Ultra. If I could save a few grand on that one over the regular ultra, than that would be great. I wish they had more color options on the POSE, but they are good looking bikes pretty much whatever color you get anyways. Thanks again everyone.

Curtis

Edit for being an idiot. I kept saying POLE ultra bike. I thought it was Peace Officer Limited Edition, but it's Peace Officer Special Edition.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:44 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to save a couple thousand take a look at the Electra Glide Classic.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pscheval

my advice would be, exactly what my wife told me. Get what you want, don't settle for less. You will not be happy getting less then you want.
+1

Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: curtiscalderon

sweet, thanks for all the replies. It all will help to make the decision easier. It seems like the cost difference between what I save on the police bike and what I want to do to it might not be much, in which case, much better to just buy the ultra already done. I like working on my current bike, but I do like riding it even more. Thanks for the replies and also, I'll ask my salesguy what kind of discount he would give on the POLE Ultra. If I could save a few grand on that one over the regular ultra, than that would be great. I wish they had more color options on the POLE, but they are good looking bikes pretty much whatever color you get anyways. Thanks again everyone.

Curtis
The discount on the POSE and Fire bikes is 10% off msrp from the factory, the dealer does not have anything to do with it, unless they take more off. But, you have to be sworn or retired and be able to prove it to purchase, so if you aren't you can forget that route. If you are, it's a deal too good to turn down.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:10 PM
big bang
6th Gear

I have purchased two police models, 1st was a 98 FLHTPI, white..had it for 8 years until a real nice lady wanted my lane more than I did... anyway, the check (KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS) paid for a new 2007 FLHTP with 150 miles (demo bike)... Here is what it now looks like, I have saved probably 5k over buying a FLHTC...

Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the final outcome you are seeking.

Like Pingman, we went with thet FLHTPI, have added a few things, but considerieng the initial cost, the ability to add as dollars and time are available, the Cop Glide seemed to bt the way to go for us.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: A question about the EG Police model or EG Ultra Classic