Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:31 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler experience?

I have read the discussions between fan versus cooler, seems like both would be the ultimate. I was trying to find out if both the coolers being offered by the manufacturer had a thermostat in them, catalog doesn't say. Talking to the dealer was useless, only offered opinions. since they are not stock equipment I wondered at what point are they necessary. I plan on a couple road trips this summer, never plan on being caught in traffic, yeah right. Parts guy said that they may need to be blocked off in cold weather, is that necessary? This would be installed on an Ultra. Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:40 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: oil cooler experience?

Premium Oil Cooler Kit for Touring Models
26082-05

This cooler was designed specifically for Harley- Davidson® to out-perform all other coolers in the industry. This cooler features a unique "Turbulator" system that evenly distributes oil across the cooling chambers. The air fins are designed to efficiently dissipate heat. This popular Touring oil cooler has been re-designed to simplify installation and enhance performance. The larger heat exchanger provides additional cooling efficency.Kit features an adaptor plate with integrated thermostat that allows oil lines to connect to the oil filter bracket. Kit comes complete with mounting hardware and precut oil lines

Super Premium Oil Cooler Kit
62895-03A

This Touring Oil Cooler Kit provides a clean look and efficient cooling for Twin Cam-equipped models. First offered as Original Equipment on the '03 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, the oil lines of this Cooler Kit attach to a unique Oil Filter Mount at the front of the engine, eliminating long hoses that run to the oil tank. The black painted Oil Cooler is available with your choice of Chrome or Silver-finish Oil Filter Mount to complement Silver or Black & Chrome engines.

Looks like the Premuim is the only one with the thermostat, but you can buy that seperate from HD

Thermostat Kit
62878-99

This thermostat features an advanced design that makes it smaller so that it can be hidden after installation. Thermostat is designed to allow oil flow to the cooler starting at 180 degrees Fahrenheit, while restricting oil flow to the cooler when oil temperature falls below 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Reliable function provides addditional confidence to the rider who adds an oil cooler to their riding application.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:41 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I PERSONALLY would go with the fan kit over the oil cooler. The fan is working all the time, the cooler ONLY when riding and useless during traffic.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:09 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not like the low mounting location of the HD coolers so I went with a down tube unit from Jagg (thru Dennis Kirk). It uses an oil filter mount as do the newer moco coolers. It also flows the oil with a turbulator method. It does not have a built in thermostat. An optional by-pass valve is available. I chose not to use it, as it would mean 4 more oil line connections which are potential leak sources. I keep the cooler covered on cooler/cold weather. Would reccommend this product.
I wonder why, if coolers are useless, are they standard on most factory SE 103 models?
Somewhere in one of the DIY forums is a good explanation of installing fans on the HD cooler. This may be the best of both worlds.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
blueknight
Advanced

I purchased fan kit. I like added chrome on left side of motor. More air movement over engine for slowers speeds and no chance of oil leaks.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:54 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cheyenne gave you all the info you need and he is on the money. I ride an ULTRA and have the cooler. The fan is better for slow speeds and idling and that is where most of your cooling needs will be . I have never overheated with or without the cooler at 80mph, but i do notice that at high speeds my engine runs cooler and i dont get the foaming.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:10 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced

ORIGINAL: msbhvn

I have read the discussions between fan versus cooler, seems like both would be the ultimate. I was trying to find out if both the coolers being offered by the manufacturer had a thermostat in them, catalog doesn't say. Talking to the dealer was useless, only offered opinions. since they are not stock equipment I wondered at what point are they necessary. I plan on a couple road trips this summer, never plan on being caught in traffic, yeah right. Parts guy said that they may need to be blocked off in cold weather, is that necessary? This would be installed on an Ultra. Thanks for any advice.
First question I was asked is "where do you plan on riding mostly". If you live in the SW and temps rise about 110 while riding, then you'll need some kind of cooling. The other thing is to remember that the ECM's have a "Heat Manager" built into them. You'll know when it's kicked in because you won't be able to go over 50 mph at first, then if it continues to be run, she'll go down to 40, 30, then shutdown/off.

If you're riding in weather above 120 degress then get off the friggin asphalt, grab a magarita someplace and cool down. At those temps your risking yourself more than the bike. If you need to run some cooling and live in warmer climates, then an oil cooler will do you more good than a fan (fans are not effective past a certain mph).

Otherwise, I was told, unless you're doing a LOT(read:constant) in-town stop-n-go driving you should be fine. Just use a good SYN oil (like SYN3) change regular and she'll run you into ground before you'll have problems with her over-heating. Remember heat can also be caused by running LEAN as well. Proper mix is as critical to a v-twin as oil is.

I live in the NW and we rarely get above 100 around here.. so I'm not going to do anything special for cooling and I'm getting SE HTCC performance heads, SE Performance Manifold, Andrew high duration cams/gears, SERT and Rinehart True Duals. There senior race builder at my dealer (whom I trust and helped me design my motor changes) said in this part of the country you will be fine with that setup and, he continued, even if you see a slight rise in temp it won't effect you enough to overheat the motor to the point of damage and with the built in "Heat Manager" on all newer Touring level bikes she'll just shut herself down before you get to that point and then you'll know you need some extra cooling.

And YES it will start back up once the bike has dropped below it's pre-set heat threadhold (i.e. let it cool for awhile).

my .02 cents

Old 02-26-2006, 10:28 PM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jagg filter adapter new for 05 does have a thermostat built in, check out the JAGG site again.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:41 PM
msbhvn
Cruiser

BlueKnight,

Is the fan thermostat controlled or controlled with an on off switch. If it utilizes a switch did you use the acc swich on the fairing?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

hummm ?? to me ? the use of a oil cooler 'PLUS' a fan... would be the best setup.

im wondering ? why not use the fan to blow through the oil cooler ?

does anyone make something like that ?

weet

Quick Reply: oil cooler experience?