Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
buckweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil cooler experience?

also............??????????????

my honda 4x4 350 rancher uses a oil cooler with a fan behind it, it never gets hot, even super slow, hot 110degree days, down in the mud, ect,, pulling a trailer, ect.

so ? is there something like that on the market for my harley ?

weet

Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,733 Likes on 1,260 Posts

ORIGINAL: SiCkEl_RiDeR

ORIGINAL: msbhvn

I have read the discussions between fan versus cooler, seems like both would be the ultimate. I was trying to find out if both the coolers being offered by the manufacturer had a thermostat in them, catalog doesn't say. Talking to the dealer was useless, only offered opinions. since they are not stock equipment I wondered at what point are they necessary. I plan on a couple road trips this summer, never plan on being caught in traffic, yeah right. Parts guy said that they may need to be blocked off in cold weather, is that necessary? This would be installed on an Ultra. Thanks for any advice.
First question I was asked is "where do you plan on riding mostly". If you live in the SW and temps rise about 110 while riding, then you'll need some kind of cooling. The other thing is to remember that the ECM's have a "Heat Manager" built into them. You'll know when it's kicked in because you won't be able to go over 50 mph at first, then if it continues to be run, she'll go down to 40, 30, then shutdown/off.

If you're riding in weather above 120 degress then get off the friggin asphalt, grab a magarita someplace and cool down. At those temps your risking yourself more than the bike. If you need to run some cooling and live in warmer climates, then an oil cooler will do you more good than a fan (fans are not effective past a certain mph).

Otherwise, I was told, unless you're doing a LOT(read:constant) in-town stop-n-go driving you should be fine. Just use a good SYN oil (like SYN3) change regular and she'll run you into ground before you'll have problems with her over-heating. Remember heat can also be caused by running LEAN as well. Proper mix is as critical to a v-twin as oil is.

I live in the NW and we rarely get above 100 around here.. so I'm not going to do anything special for cooling and I'm getting SE HTCC performance heads, SE Performance Manifold, Andrew high duration cams/gears, SERT and Rinehart True Duals. There senior race builder at my dealer (whom I trust and helped me design my motor changes) said in this part of the country you will be fine with that setup and, he continued, even if you see a slight rise in temp it won't effect you enough to overheat the motor to the point of damage and with the built in "Heat Manager" on all newer Touring level bikes she'll just shut herself down before you get to that point and then you'll know you need some extra cooling.

And YES it will start back up once the bike has dropped below it's pre-set heat threadhold (i.e. let it cool for awhile).

my .02 cents

I guess I feel if you do a lot of mods and ride bike hard [or load it down heavy on long trips] then it is worth it, cheap insurance.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

Jeepster nailed it. So true. There seems to be a slight misconception a few post up about the HD fan kit. Something about "over 80 mph" I think. Not singeling anyone out! The fan kit operated on a thermostat mounted on the backing plate cover to the airbox (intake) Regarldess of your speed, if there is a need she will come to life. And to add to Jeepster09 point- riding say 2-up and packed down and cruising at interstate speed (or any speed for that matter) will put quite the unfair strain on an aircooled motor in the dead heat of summer. If you have slightly higher comp and your really jammin' along for hours at over 75 mph that puts even more stress on the motor. Having accessory oil cooling is cheap insurance. Not to beat the dead horse, but lets consider THIS. On a trip, all packed down and its HOT and humid. Mid day, youve been jammin for over 300 miles or more stopping briefly for gas/water/pisstop only. Motor is HOT. What next? One of your favorite traffic jams. Now your ideling, stop and go, maybee 3 mph tops for who knws how long? Oil cooler is helping surely, but is it enough? probably not. This happened to ME thanks to T-rex project. Warped a piston ring. On a custom sled I may pass on the fan kit. Touring rig for the long hauls? Never be without BOTH again.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

I PERSONALLY would go with the fan kit over the oil cooler. The fan is working all the time, the cooler ONLY when riding and useless during traffic.
I have to disagree with you that oil coolers are useless in traffic. For one thing, when you come up to a stop in traffic, your oil will be at a lower temp already...this gives you more time in traffic before the temps get high. Even when the temps have climbed back up to the high end the cooler acts as an additional heat sink....much like the old radiator style heat in older homes. Its a matter of convection. Heat energy will flow from an area of high to low whether there is airflow or not. This is the same reason you feel your legs getting roasted in traffic even when there is no airflow going over the motor....convection.

So even at a standstill, a oil cooler is helping you...and once you are moving again, it will help to bring that oil temp back in line much more quickly.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think that about .5 quart of extra oil with an oil cooler helps cooling too.

Doug

Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
MiniMe
Road Master

If only HD would make an oil cooler kit which would incude a small fan that attaches to the oil cooler. I think only then would I purchase one. Now there is an idea. Then there would be air passing throught the cooling fins at all times. We know this works because vehicle manfactures have done it for years on vehicles.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a post in the DIY by TCSTD that shows fans on an HD cooler. Looks like a good idea.
Anyone ever notice all Buell's have oil coolers (except maybe the Blast). But they face sideways and have a forward facing scoop to get the air through. Wonder why. maybe to keep thing from hitting the cooler and beding/piercing the fins.