Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Road King Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King or Road King Classic?

Hi everyone,

Making a change and moving on up! Actually, still recovering from an unfortunate accident, but life goes on and I'm getting the itch, need to get out riding again.

Here goes, I know I wanted to move up eventually to a touring bike, but didn't put much thought into it until I got run over recently.

Now I think I have narrowed it down to a Road King, or road King Classic, here's why.
I don't tour much, long trips etc..., maybe one a year.
I do ride locally as much as possible, day trips 200 miles or so on weekend days.
I like a windshield as I find it cuts down my insect intake.
I get out a few hours on weeknights to clear my head.
I ride solo 99% of the time.

The wife, who is the 1% er passenger, seems to want some say in the bike, but does nothing to maintain it, ie, washing, cleaning etc...

We both like the look of the Classic, but I see the bags, whitewall tires, and spoke rims as a lot of work, work taking the time out of riding.

I realize I'm answering the question with the above statements, but I want an opinion of others who have the one or the other as if my reasoning is correct.

I know we need to choose battles at home, is this one worth it? Are the leather bags worth the trouble of maintaining? I had leather on my Dyna, and they do dry out, etc.. Do the leather bags lock, like the solid ones?

Any input or opinion is appreciated.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:18 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Road King or Road King Classic?

For me personally, I went with the RKC because it had cruise and I liked the look of the leather bags over the hard bags. As far as cleaning the wheels and white walls, it's no biggie. Both only take a few minutes to clean when you're washing your bike.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The leather bags are no trouble to maintain. Mine are nearly 9 years old and still look great. I just grease them down with mink oil a couple of times a year and let it sink in. Matter of fact, i feel that leather bags are easier to maintain. They don't get scratched like the painted ones do. Sure, the leather will scratch, but a little shoe polish will cover that up.

You can get locks for the leather bags. However, IMO, they are near worthless. They only lock down the front of the bag. A 5 year old could fold over the rear of the lid and get your stuff out.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

For me personally, I went with the RKC because it had cruise and I liked the look of the leather bags over the hard bags. As far as cleaning the wheels and white walls, it's no biggie. Both only take a few minutes to clean when you're washing your bike.
+1

The cruise is a very nice feature over the FLHR. Also, the whitewalls and the leather bags were the main selling points for me when it came to the styling (I'm 31 but have an old soul). No big deal to clean. Little wheel & tire cleaner and you're done in 10 min.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
IM744
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally prefer the RK I like the look of the hard bags and the options that it gives me. I basicly allows them to be used as a cooler on the long day trips just make sure your buddies are in front. It also allows them to be STUFFED with your crap if you decide to go on an overnighter.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Hedog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me personally, I like the looks of the hard bags, thats one of the reasons I own the Standard. They are both great bikes and as far as cleaning, I love to clean my bike and make it shine like a monkeys ***!!! You're in a great position, either way you win.........[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've spent many, many years with spoked wheels and leather bags, got tired of takin' care of them. The choice for me was no more of that. Ok, not a real big deal to take care of, but also, if you are going long term, leather does age and while it looks better aged, it also loses shape and wears, at least if you really ride it. As far as cruise being a nice feature over the FLHR, uh, it's available and a simple upgrade. Pretty much the only difference between the two is your personal preference of spokes/mags and leather/hard bags. Everything else can be made the same.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Aww man, I had to add this, just because. Your wife is a 1%er passenger? So she rides with an "outlaw" biker and you ride alone? Just ribbin' ya!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the road king....i did and immediatly went out and bought the classic bags etc to make it into a "classic".. in less than a year my hard "std" bags are back on to stay ..and cruise is no biggy . its a 275.00 kit

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Cannon00000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 For the Road King Classic

The Classic leather bags help the bike to maintain a nostaligic look. I've had a number of people assume my bike was a classic antique when they first saw it.

Quick Reply: Road King or Road King Classic?