Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Road King Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King or Road King Classic?

I personally prefer the RK I like the look of the hard bags and the options that it gives me. I basicly allows them to be used as a cooler on the long day trips just make sure your buddies are in front. It also allows them to be STUFFED with your crap if you decide to go on an overnighter.
You can fit more in the leather bags and RKC bags can be used as a cooler too. I went with the RKC because of the WWW, spokes, Cruise, and leather bags. The funny thing is: I am giving up the WWW and spokes to go with a 21/18 set up and I will be covering the leather bags with some exotic skin. Even still I didn't like the light on the front and rear fender of the RK. Now the big plus of the RK and the hard bags is, it looks better if you decide to do a custom paint job. Cleaning RKC is not a hard task and you shouldn't let that make your decision. Decide which one you like best and go for it. The good thing is you are never stuck you can change rims, WWW, and bags anytime you want.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:52 AM
JohnB445
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an 08 RKC. Main reason, I wanted to buy a new HD with that old

style look for 40 years. I like the leather bags, they are no problem. Whitewalls

30 minutes to clean right, so they look good. I don't know how long the whitewalls

will stay white. Spoked wheels are a different story. If you want them to look

good, it takes time. Looking at the long term, after storage for the winter, it is a job

for me. I have 40 spoke wheels on my FXWG, and the rear wheel easier to get at

than my RKC. Wheels on the FXWG are a pain in the ****. I knew I would only keep

the RKC for 2 years when I bought it. Next bike I buy will have solid, or 9 spoke wheels

or whatever comes stock. Your choice depends on your style of riding, and your likes

and dislikes. Good luck with your purchase.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36456/92D2218AB126492A81D1E473859FEE7C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to say I favor the Classic. The spokes are no big deal to clean and the leather bags look great. Plus, I think the RKC seat is more comfortable than the standard. You win no matter which one you choose. Good luck with it.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Wags1
Tourer

It's all about the look you prefer. Maintenance is really no big deal either way. For me, I like the "old school" look of the leather bags and white walls of the RKC...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

****! Get a Beemer. LOL. RKC. F the WWs. Screw the spokes. Love the cruise!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Chrizzby
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Road King- Hard bags- for the place when you need to lock it up, but locks are for honest people ....

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

RK Classic, here's one for you with a few extras too!

Regardless of the bags and wheels, If you are cleaning them there's not much differenct in time saved plus the classic bags hold much more and are a bit more forgiving if you are prone to scuff marks when mounting and dismounting.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3302835/tm.htm

Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I had the same choice in 2002 and decided on the RK. I prefer the looks, maintenance (none) and security of the hard bags. the security (being able to lock my gear) was the primary reason. I haven't regretted it once. RKC's are nice too and you can't go wrong either way, just a matter of preference.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
gregp
Intermediate

I have a classic and just purchased a set of police bags. I am looking for a chopped tour pack by the way. I like the hard bag look myself. I also feel the hard bags will age better.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The WWW's and bags on the RKC are not hard to maintain but I promise, they'll look bad if you don't take care of them. I rub leather conditioner on my bagsonce or twice a year depending on weather conditions. When I give the bike a hard scrubbing I spend an extra 10 minute/wheel brightening up the white walls. BTW, a bike jack really makes this much easier.

If you scratch a leather bag it only adds to theold school look of the RKC...and is an easy fix. If you scratch a hard bag all it does is make you want to cry! Both are beautiful bikes but my preference leans towards what you see in my sig.

Quick Reply: Road King or Road King Classic?