Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

29 MPG on SG

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 29 MPG on SG

Just went through my first tank of gas after getting my SG Dyno Tuned with a SERT. I still have gurlge and a little pop on decel. If I roll the throttle full on at 70 MPH the bike don't jump out it just slowly gains speed. I tried this roll on today, the pull was slow but when I got to 102MPH the bike lurched forward like I had another gear. I got a little nervous and back right down.
Prior to the SERT and tune, I was running off a stageII download. I got 27 MPG with that and to be honest the SERT don't feel much different. Prior to the mods, (SE slipons, Air) I was getting around 38 MPG, stone stock.
I will say that most of my riding has been more of the around town type. But I still feel that is bad fuel average.
I'm thinking something is not right. What do you guys think?

Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
harleybob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29 MPG on SG

Streetrunner, You have got me nervous now. I was hoping the stage one and the sert and dyno would rid the poping on decel . My Bike is supposed to be ready Monday. I guess I will find out. Bob.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

let us know how you make out. I'm thinking I may have got a bad tune job! lol!

Old 02-25-2006, 10:53 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank,

I also just got my bike dynotuned. I'm using a PCIII, not the SERT. I have the stage I download, Hooker tuned flow slip-ons and the SE Stage I air cleaner. Otherwise a bone stock TC88. Before the dynotune I was getting 33-34 mpg. After the dynotune I'm still getting 33-34 mpg. I'm not hard on the bike either - 70 - 75mph on the freeway, and no hot rodding. The dynotune only got me an extra 3hp and 3 ft/lbs of torque. The canned PCIII map that I was using prior to the dynotune was a very accurate map. I was pretty sure that my bike didn't need to be dyno'd - it was running to good. I was right, but I had it done anyway just to be sure.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with the bad gas mileage. 29mpg is even worse than what I'm getting, but you may be riding your bike a lot harder than I am. My previous 2 Harleys always averaged over 40mpg - I'm not sure what the problem is with my SG. Oh well, at least it runs strong.

Doug

Old 02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Looking at 190-200 miles (highway) on a tank. Decent.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Streetrunner something don't sound kosher to me, it ought to get better than that, sounds like it's rich to me, mine was until I had it dyno tuned, my gas mileage sucked also, but now I'm figureing around 42 or so per gallon.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

sounds like they maped it wrong... Get her dyno tuned at a DIFFRENT shop. I have the same setup you have and my MPG went from 36 to 39 after the tuner WITHOUT a dyno tune and it runs awesome...

Old 02-26-2006, 03:50 AM
bluesgub
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Streetrunner: I've run three tanks of gas through my SG. No modifications on the bike. 30, 37, and 33 mpg. City and highway miles included with all three calculations. Not quite what Harley showed in their info at 39mpg. city and 46mpg highway but I'm not a 180 lb. rider either. I figure after 1000 miles I will look into better mileage.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:56 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master

o5 Ultra with SEW slip ons, K&N and the factory map...(I know a lot of bad juju talk about the factory map, but they dyno'd as well and itreally pepped it up)...average 210 miles before the light comes on, have 13K on it and no problemos what so ever....factory map seems to work fine and no add on tuners needed.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:02 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a Stage I you should expect mileage in the low 40s with normal highway speeds and techniques.

If you are in town or bangin' the throttle passin' cagers then low 30s is about right.

Quick Reply: 29 MPG on SG