Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Stage I download necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 AM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Stage I download necessary?

I have a 2007 Ultra with Cobra Fi2000 wO2 sensors, Stage I A/C, Vance & Hines True Duals w/ SE Touring mufflers. I'm not crazy over the Cobra Fi2000 so far and I'm thinking of switching to the Vance & Hines fuel pak.

Is the Stage I down load necessary with either of the above combinations or will the fuel management equipment make all the necessary adjustments?

The bike runs good but sucks on gas mileage down to 32 from the mid 40's. I expected some difference but not that dramatic.

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Is Stage I download necessary?

Highly recommend the Fuel Pak! Your engine will run way too hot because the fuel flow is lean from the factory. If you run in hot climates it will hurt your engine. When I was looking at Vance & Hines, I was definitely going to get their Fuel Pak. (It's resonably priced compared to some others.) Check with your dealer they may have an ECM download to match your exhaust.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are doing some sort of fuel management....fuelpak, PCIII, or SERT there is no point in a stage-1 download as the fuel management system will just over-ride it anyway.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Windup08

If you are doing some sort of fuel management....fuelpak, PCIII, or SERT there is no point in a stage-1 download as the fuel management system will just over-ride it anyway.
+1 Fuel Pak for just Stage 1, PCIII if you plan on more engine mods.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM
StankyWanky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just run it without it. the ecm will adjust.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel Pak sucks IMO. Hated it on my Fat Boy. Ran like crap. The dealer installs the download with the Sert for a reason. It saves you money on a duno cause it hits it pretty perfect

Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The ECM cannot compensate adequately with the addition of the Stage 1 Air Intake - you will need some sort of enrichment program, either through the download or an aftermarket device such as the FuelPak or PCIII.

You will not need the download AND the FuelPak. The FuelPak has a map that will provide all that you need. I suspect that you will get better results with the FuelPak since you have the true duals; the HD download provides a less specific (more generic) mapping of the ECM and probably won't be as efficient as the FuelPak.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cfmii11

Is the Stage I down load necessary with either of the above combinations or will the fuel management equipment make all the necessary adjustments?

Here's hypothetical example Values are just for example: On your stock bike your ECM is putting out lets say a value of 3 for a certain area (A) of performance. You make your Stage I upgrade and get a download, area (A) is putting out a value of 3.5 now. Now you add a fuel pak or a PCIII and proper download for a bike with a Stage I download, now that area (A) is now putting out a total of 5.0. An increase of .5 (Stage I) and an increase of 1.5 for the Tuners, total added 2.0. Now if you don't get the Stage I download and just use the Fuel Pak or PCIII with the download for no Stage I download the tuners will put out the value of 2.0 increaseto area (A).
So just get the tuner of your choice and don't through the extra cost of a Stage I download away. The result your looking for will come.