Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
LVRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage

So.. I have this 07 Ultra that I really love to ride. I try to do a 300-500 mile ride a week with friends. They drive the BMWK1200LT and get really great gas mileage. Mine has the stage 1-tru dual Reinharz (spelling). I consistantly get about 135-140 miles out of a tank. this has me very frustrated [:'(]. I have purposely rode above, below and the actual speed limit when riding and still the same mileage. I was hoping to find out if anyone else is in the same boat. Like i said i love my HD but the temptation is there to try the BMW for the added mileage.

I was just online to see if there are bigger gas tanks that could be used on my bike, so i can keepup with the JONES'. Haven't had any luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Gas Mileage

You'll never equal the BMW for gas mileage. I rode my 02 to Canada and a guy with a RS1100 was always over 50 mpg. My 07 Ultra, stock, averages about 39 all around, as high as 45 at 70 mph. Anything over 70, the mileage goes down. I would imagine the Stage I might hurt the mileage too. It did on my 02.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm not sure what good gas mileage is on a big bike like we have... Let's face it, it is not built to run like a BMW, nor does it look like one (thankfully). All that being said, since this is an HD Forum... I get about 42 mpg on my 08 FLHRC. It has a 107 build, and other goodies, but my Indy really knows how to tune the bike and in my opinion that is pretty critical stuff. One of my riding buddies has a Kawai Nomad and he gets the same as I do, another friend gets almost 65 mpg on his 250cc and he is happy-- So, my only suggestion is to have someone check the tune. What kind of mileage do your buddies get?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
LVRider
Intermediate

Have you heard about putting on...say..a 6 or 7 gal tank Custom or Harley built?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

BMW LT is a hard bike to equal for gas mileage, and you may not do it with your Ultra. I could beat them with my old Evo RK (carb) as long as speeds were moderate (<65mph), but not when speeds exceeded that. My '07 SG can manage 50mpg at moderate speeds with no cold starts, my best being 207 miles before the gas light came on. Do you have any EFI controllers connected to the bike (PCIII, SERT, etc.)? If all you have are the Stage 1 download and Reinhart TD's, you should be able to get decent mileage with that setup. If you have a controller tuned for performance you may have a rich map not designed for mileage. Give us as many details on your setup as possible, and we can go from there. These bikes can get decent mileage, but only with some tweaking.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
LVRider
Intermediate

Well. they have 7 gal tanks so they claim to get 260-280 on a tank, depending how they ride.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just rode on a 425 mile trip this past Saturday and averaged 46.45 mpg, using a total of 9.1 gal.on my 07 Ultra with my wife on the passenger seatand a packed Dakota T-bag on the rack and all the hardcases pretty well filled. We rode mostly 2 lanes lots of twisties and never got over about 60 mph, except for about 50 miles of 4 lane at about 65-68 mph. My friends 07 SG and 06 Ultra get almost as good mileage and the SG has Rinehardt tru-duals and a PCIII and the UC is a 95" w/ tru-duals and PC (he gets the least mileage, but still over 40). Yours might just need tuning or fuel management system. Hope this helps, but I'd rather get 35 mpg on an Ultra Classic than 50 mpg on a BMW.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 PM
LVRider
Intermediate

Well..I would have to reference my paperwork they gave me when they mapped it. Can't do it now, cause I'm pay'n the bills (working). I do get a really strong exhaust/gas smell from the air filter when riding though. Took it in and the techs said there was nothing wrong with it. I still don't think it is right but... I just ride the thing.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I get 42-44 without even trying. Often times rolling around 70-75 I can get around 46-47 MPG..

Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 PM
DrSmaggs
Tourer

I have a 2005 Dyna Superglide Sport (FXDXI)

It's mostly stock with Screamin' Eagle II exhaust and a K&N air filter on the stock intake. I usually get 200+ miles per tank (4.8 US Gallon capacity). I weight around 150lbs.. so maybe that's one of the ways I do it. I also never really race it and never do burnouts. I take it very easy on the highway, pretty much going only the speed limit and letting all the speeding a-holes get past me.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage