Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine noise thru radio.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine noise thru radio.....

I just installed a 240 watt amp.....with my biketronics sony stereo.....I'm getting a terrible engine noise thru the speakers. Have double checked my ground...and all connections. anyone have an idea how I can get rid of the interference....also when I use the turn signals you can here the clicking of the blinkers thru the radio......Help!....Thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
bezoar
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine noise thru radio.....

I don't want to set the world on fire, I only want to start a flame!!!
I guess I just don't get it. Why in the world would someone on a Harley want to have a radio blaring away when they're cruising down the road? Isn't the point to hear those oh so wonderful pipes telling all that can hear that a Harley's a comin'? I love nothing better than to hear my pipes roar and those of fellow riders roar going the other direction. Having a radio blunts the sounds of the bike and nature and doesn't let your mind escape into the ride. Music preoccupies the brain and an experience like riding a Harley doesn't get a chance to be enjoyed for the pure pleasure it brings. For me, that can only happen when all you hear is the bike and your surroundings (oh, and an occasional blip from the wife).
Sorry if I can't understand the lure of a radio on a bike and no offense intended to those that enjoy it. To me it just seems counter intuitive.
OK, C'mon!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:13 PM
dowork08
Tourer

What kind of amp are you using....sometimes with the less expensive amps they will get that happing to them. ....you may have to move your round somewhere else

Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is one of the great things about riding, we all get to do it OUR way!!!! I listen to music at times when the ride on the super slab is boring but I have no desire to JACK UP the volume with an amp. That said, I have no interest in LOUD pipes or riding at 80+ mph either so I get to ride MY way.

Sorry Spence, I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I'm sure you'll get some useful answers soon.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

Hijack my thread? naw...not a problem..I rarely have the stereo on when I'm riding...cause I really do like the sound of the bike...stereo is mostly while parked and BS'n with fellow riders and friends...as for the amp..its a Pyle (oh sh*t...I see whats coming already) but the noise is terrible...do I need resistor plugs?...or is there such a thing for HD's

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

......Although, some of the girls really do enjoy the music.......almost as much as I enjoy them later.....

Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
thekidnkaren
Tourer

Spence, I don't know everything but I was going to suggest trying resistor plugs first. That was the first thing that came to mind as soon as I read engine noise in radio

Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

try a different location to ground the amp. Where is the Amp located. If you're running RCA cables past the battery and the cables aren't shielded then you'll get some interference.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

The ground is good (double and triple checked it).....Amp is stacked on top of the stereo

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
rickrides
1st Gear

try going to radio shack or equal type store and put torroids on the cables comming out of the radio. torroids are very inexpensive! You can also install a noise filter on the power wires.

Quick Reply: engine noise thru radio.....