Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil spray on the motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Biggin65
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil spray on the motor

I ride a 07 Road King. Coming back from Myrtle beach on sun I noticed oil film on the chrome, on the right side of the bike under the air cleaner. I took the cover off the air filter and noticed the filter had oil on it at the bottom. and its seems there was oil coming from the vent tube on the front cylinder. I have a stage one air cleaner and aftermarket pipes on my bike and just turned 10,000 miles..
Any ideas what is causing the oil leak???

Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: oil spray on the motor

do a search on this site. I am usre there are 5000 hits on this subject.
HD has a vneted crankcase that vents to the air cleaner.
Your pipes have nothgin to do with this....LOL...not sure why everyone thinks pipes are the issue on this issue...i digress.
Also, this is a design "feature" with HD.
I am sure others will chime in with a more technical explination. Basically, nothing to worry about, as long as your crankcase is not overfilled on oil. Oh yeah, this mayu or may not void your warranty....i had to add t

Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

This is called"fuel stand off". The link below well provide a detailed description.

https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=3214585

Old 05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Biggin65

I ride a 07 Road King. Coming back from Myrtle beach on sun I noticed oil film on the chrome, on the right side of the bike under the air cleaner. I took the cover off the air filter and noticed the filter had oil on it at the bottom. and its seems there was oil coming from the vent tube on the front cylinder. I have a stage one air cleaner and aftermarket pipes on my bike and just turned 10,000 miles..
Like John says, nothing to worry about.
It's the crankcase vent.
It has nothing to do with aftermarket pipes.

Peter

Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
brownbagger
Advanced

Good link there Bert. I've seen this one my bike more than once and each time it occurred was after I laid out a line with a nice rolling burnout, or after some high speed highway riding. My bike is plumbed with an external drip line between the vent holes and the breather to reroute the oil away from my breather. I also have an aftermarket T/B anda large air cleaner that gets saturated from time to time from the fuel standoff. For that reason, I take the breather off fairly often to clean and recharge it with the K&N recharge kit.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to guess you had an oil change done before you went to Myrtle Beach or you topped off the oil. From the posts I've read you're actually over full requirements.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: Biggin65

I keep my oil half way between the add mark and full mark on the dip stick when the oil is cold. I discovered this years ago after experiencing the oil in the filter problem and have not had any oil in any of my Harley's air filters since then. If you fill it to the full mark
you're going to vent it into the filter and down the side of your bike.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
jferna
Cruiser

Same with me, same machine. Just completed a 5000 mile service, oil was topped off, went on a 500+ mile out of town weekend, and when I returned home I noticed oil in the same place as yours. wiped it off, went out of town again for a 400+ mile weekend and - nothing, due to the oil level being a little bit below topped off.Follow cowboyglide's advice. Nothing to worry about. Everything is working fine.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:30 PM
baron3547
Cruiser

I have an 2004 Road King. I had the same problem until I started putting just 3.5 quarts of oil instead of 4 quarts. I don't know how many quarts the 07 takes but reduce the amount by half-a-quart and this should solve the problem

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The 07's list 4 qts for a dry fill and 3.5 for a wet fill. More than likely the reason for the oil spray if you add 4 qts on a change. Don't forget the oil left in the engine oil galleries when you do a change.

Quick Reply: oil spray on the motor