Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Bags

I'm headed across country and being new to Harley (' 08 Ultra Classic) I thought I'd see what was available for a tank bag. They come in handy for wallet, sunglasses, sunscreen, passport, etc. However, not much is out there for our bikes. I did find one from Marsee but it appears it would press right up against the plug for the intercom system. Has anyone tried this product? Comments? Other options?
http://marseeproducts.homestead.com/...%20Stash%20Bag

Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Tank Bags

I think a tank bag would look awful on any Harley. I'd look into a windhsield pouch to carry this stuff.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume that thehueg is more concerend with functionality than looks. All tank bags are ugly, but are very functional, thus the usage.
Most tank bags are designed for sport tourers...crotch rockets. however there are a few generic ones out there that have a soft underside that will not scratch the paint and are magnet/strap secured.

Here are a few links
http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=278
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Bags.html
http://www.bellrpg.net/bell/CY/group...00&SEC=608

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with a windshield bag or a Tour Pak organizer. A tank bag will scratch your tank. It doesn't matter if the company says their bag won't. It will. If there is any dust at all on your bike when you put the bag on, that dust will grind into the paint. Over time, you will see the wear marks. I wouldn't put anything on the painted surface of the bike. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I've thought about one, too. I used to have one on my Yamaha 650 for road trips. It was really useful. I'm not sure how it would fit on the H-D tank configuration. That and the coolness factor may be why you pretty much never see one on a Harley.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my question is why? You're on an Ultra, stuff your sunglasses, suncsreen, and other odds and ends in the lower glove boxes. That's what they are for. Word of warning though about putting glasses in there, put them in a case or they will scratch from moving around. Your wallet and passport need to be in the tour pak or saddlebag where you can lock it up. The paperwork carrier in the tour pak is perfect. Save your paint, and leave the tanks bags for those that carry them out of necessity.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Copper Hog
Cruiser

Don't do it!!!!

The convenience is not worth the scratched paint.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Marsee won't fit the 08's without modification. I have one on my 08 RKC and I had to take off the handle to make it work. I like to have a map in front on my on long trips. If you clean and wax your tank, then put a couple of pieces of clear contact paper under where the magnets contact, you won't damage your paint. May not look the best, but very nice to have a map on long trips. No GPS btw.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I think a tank bag would look awful on any Harley. I'd look into a windhsield pouch to carry this stuff.
A windshield bag WONT hold 2 bottles of Gatorade, a bottle of water, 3 lbs of beef jerky, wallet, keys, a dozen power bars, cell phone, camera, extra glasses, a .380, maps, and still have room for more!
And it looks fine and works great. Besides, I could care LESS what someone else thinks about the way it looks!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

Are you going 2 up?
If not, I just strap mine on the rear seat behind the back rest.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Tank Bags