Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER AND WILD1 WO575

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How difficult is it to swap these out for stockers?

Scale 1-10 (10 hardest)

How much time/beers?

This is something I really want to do, but don't want to bite off too much.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Basically, you have to pop off the outer fairing and pull the radio. You have to pull the ignition and take off the inner fairing switch cap. You have to unplug the wiring for the throttle sensor and remove and reinstall in the new bars. You have to change the clutch cable which can be a PITA if you still have the stock exhaust because you have to drop the entire exhaust on the models up to 2008 (09 and later you just have to remove a shield). If you have duals it's easier because you just drop one side. I'd say for a novice using a service manual and taking your time, it's a half day to a full day job. It is gratifying doing it yourself and there are several things to learn along the way. There are also some tips and tricks to utilize like putting the bike up onto 2x4 or 2x6 lumber and leaning it way over on the jiffy stand when you pull the tranny cover off so you don't have to drop the tranny fluid prior to changing out the cable.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

what about a RG, still need to replace the clutch cable? thought everything was go on them.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Tulsa
Wild ones are drilled for internal wiring and the sweapers are not.
I had the Sweepers put on my '09 SG this past May when I bought it. They came pre-driilled for internal wiring...the dealer wired them internally.
From the KW site:
WIDE “SWEEPER” CUSTOM HANDLEBARS for 2008-10 ELECTRA GLIDE® ROAD KING® and ROAD GLIDE® models
Our latest additions to the Sweeper family. Similar to our p/n 300501 and 300504 Wide Sweeper Bars, except the throttle grip end is notched and the bar is milled for internal wiring to accommodate the new electronic throttle control sensor unit on 2008-10 models. Formed from 1” diameter, 14 gage steel tubing, dimpled, knurled and duplex nickel chrome plated. Version for 2008-10 Road Kings and Road Glides measures 33” grip to grip with 8” of straight section between the lower bends. Version for Electra Glides is 34” grip to grip with 12” center straight section. No cable or brake hose changes normally required. Both versions also available +2 – two inches taller than standard Sweeper. +2 Sweepers on Electra Glide models requires longer clutch cable, OEM #38649-98 for 1996-2006, OEM #38649-07 for 2007, OEM #38649-08 for 2008-up. Harley- Davidson offers a Twist Grip Sensor Kit, p/n 32310-08 with 29” longer wires to eliminate wire splicing of the sensor unit. Namz Custom Cycle Products Inc. offers wire extension kits as well. See “Handlebar Specifications” on our web site for more detailed dimensions. Made in USA.

Last edited by SGLarry; 12-20-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't offer a comparison between the Khromewerks and the Wild 1's but I thought I would show a comparison of the Khromewerks and the stock bars off my '06 EGC. My stock bars are in front.

Attached Thumbnails  DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER  AND WILD1 WO575-handlebars-003.jpg    DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER  AND WILD1 WO575-handlebars-004.jpg    DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER  AND WILD1 WO575-handlebars-005.jpg    DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER  AND WILD1 WO575-handlebars-006.jpg    DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER  AND WILD1 WO575-handlebars-008.jpg  

Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

No wonder my wrist hurts, glad to read Dawgs comment about not having to remove the exhaust on 09's for the cable change, will do a bar swap when everything arrives. Harley 0711 was kind enough to offer a hand

Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soos,

THANKS for the pics.. those answer a LOT of questions for me and are spot on...
I see a new set of bars in my future.

One questions tho, that I've not seen answered...

Form everyone who has these bars installed..I have read about the high speed cornering and comfort level, but what effect did these have on LOW speed control and maneuvering?

For me this is very important.

What say the masses??

Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Form everyone who has these bars installed..I have read about the high speed cornering and comfort level, but what effect did these have on LOW speed control and maneuvering?
I'm very comfortable with slow speed maneuvering. Some people feel these bars are too low and too close to them. If that's the case then they would feel more comfortable with the 13" Cyclevision apes or the Wild1's. I guess it all has to do with arm length and what we are comfortable with. I like these because they not only put the hand grips where I need them to be they keep them behind the fairing.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Looking at the pics, I can't imagine them being any lower than the stockers, which are ok for me. And they don't seem crazy wide like some apes or beach bars. This is good becasue I'm short armed and don't want to lay across the tank to make a simple u-turn

Like so many that have been posting on this thread, my main concern is reach. At a comfortable arm position, my fingertips are just touching the stock controls. I have to lean up about 2" inches to grab a handful of handlebars and over the course of a long ride it just burns like fire in my shoulderblades.
I find myself riding with just the tips of one hand an awful lot. While this is not necessarily an issue, but definitely not the greatest amount of available control if needed.

I wouldn't complain a bit if they were higher than stockers, but like the advantage of my paws staying behind the fairing.

As an aside, I'd like to do a set of mini-apes just for grins, and were they available at a similar price point, I might consider them, but I'm not willing to part with that much cash just for the look.
Also, at my age and the amount of miles I am riding, the need for comfort tends to override the desire for bling.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Speaking of price point..

On an 07 Ultra -

I see where it says that oe wires and brake lines will work. I had no idea that there was so much slack in the oe stuff.
If I wanted to do this on the cheap, is it possible to re-route the clutch cable (I'm cheap..) instead of replacing it or is it stretched too tight for it to be a good thing?

Quick Reply: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KHROME WERKS +2 SWEEPER AND WILD1 WO575