Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duel or slip on

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: true duel or slip on

Everyone has their own opinions on exhaust. It all depends on the motor work done and what you are looking for. So many guys think they are boosting performance on stock or near stock bikes with true duals of any kind or even 2 into 1's.
If you like the look and the sound, fine put 'em on. But if you are looking for a functional system that provides a very broad useable power band, stick with the stock headers. They are actually very well engineered and when properly tuned with a air cleaner and SERT (or the like), they will out perform true duals on stock or near stock motors. PROVEN FACT! True duals and 2 in to 1's work better with motors that have head work and cams because they can utilize the additional flow.
Do yourself a favor and save some bucks, keep the stock headers and put on the Supertrapp touring SE muffs or maybe even Rinehart / V&H slipons. If you have the system apart, go in and grind out that piece of the cross over that sticks down into the front pipe. You will have more power than the other alternatives and a very acceptable sound.

U

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

I have no regrets about going to true duals. All tho I did it a little different than most. I liked the idea of keeping the stock exhaust pipe size with the Rinehart slip ons and I dont have any clearance problems this way either.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
jackja25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with V/H Big Shot true duals. Lowers the engine temps a little, great sound. If you lose on the low end my seat dyno cannot tell. Just listen to all the different scoots out there. Hear the one you like and buy it.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
steelhead
Road Master

It all comes down to personal preference.

That being said, I'm very satisfied with the V&H Dresser Duals I have on my RKC. I started out with V&H Basic slip-ons and the stock head pipes with crossover. Last winter I switched to the dresser duals and love the change in sound. As for performance losses, none noticed.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
rjgraham
Tourer

TD, no drone. I am happy.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel Moto Jackpots! Way better performance than True Duals (I have had both on my bike), sound level is a 5. Loud and rich if you crack them but generally quiet tooling around. I did not like the true duals at all. Too loud, and lost bottom end performance. My ears would ring for a day after hundred mile ride. The only good thing I can say about true duals is they look good.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior

I have been told by several people on this forum, that you need to get out and listen to other bikes and listen to what they have done and how they sound... then decide on what you like. I have done this, and let me tell you, if you ride up and park and start talking to another HD owner you will quickly realize that most of not all HD owners love to talk about their bike. So if you ask a question they will more than likely tell you their opinions. It has worked for me, and because of this, I purchased the Reinhart TD's and I"m hoping to get them here today, although I'm waiting for my 1000mi check to put them on, I cannot wait to have my bike sound like a HD and not a honda. My vote is for Reinhart's I dont think that you will be dissappointed except your check book might be they are not cheap!

Good luck with your choice!!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: rerb95

I have been told by several people on this forum, that you need to get out and listen to other bikes and listen to what they have done and how they sound... then decide on what you like. I have done this, and let me tell you, if you ride up and park and start talking to another HD owner you will quickly realize that most of not all HD owners love to talk about their bike. So if you ask a question they will more than likely tell you their opinions. It has worked for me, and because of this, I purchased the Reinhart TD's and I"m hoping to get them here today, although I'm waiting for my 1000mi check to put them on, I cannot wait to have my bike sound like a HD and not a honda. My vote is for Reinhart's I dont think that you will be dissappointed except your check book might be they are not cheap!

Good luck with your choice!!
Couldn't disagree more, had them, hated them, sold them at a loss. Not only are they loud they sound like a bird is chirping in the mufflers. Hope the guy who bought them is enjoying them. Everybody is different but I found them to be anything but satisfying.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuel Moto Jackpots! Way better performance than True Duals

Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
TNTHarley
Cruiser

Okay, another newbie here. I've been told that I should go with V & H true duals with Rinehart mufflers on my '08 RKC because Rinehart has been having problems with their headers cracking. Anyone here have any insight on this?

Quick Reply: true duel or slip on