Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel line disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
damnitj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel line disconnect

I have a 2000 Road King Classic, fuel injected.Yesterday I noticed gas dripping from one of the fuel line disconnects. It eventually stopped on its own. When I turned the switch on there was a sudden quick stream of gas and then it went back to a good drip. The dealer said it was most likely an O ring somewhere in the upper portion of the disconnect that needed replacing. I need to get about 7-10 miles to my Indy repair shop. Do you think it would be safe to wrap it up with something to slow the flow and ride it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Default RE: fuel line disconnect

I would go with a new rubber line on the crossover untill you get the quick disconnect fixed. I would not risk torching the bike

Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
damnitj
Advanced

I'm lost on that one can you explain it

Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally... I would not ride it with any type of fuel leak...

Old 05-19-2008, 06:22 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Is it the balance pipe on front of the tank or the main fuel line to the EFI induction module

Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
jskwarek
Road Master

HogBag07 I don't think he is talking about the cross over at the front of the tank he is talking about the fuel line with the quick disconnect at the left side of the tank.

Like the others I would not ride with a fuel leak, you are just asking for problems. This is something that you can do yourself just pop the line off, it is a quick disconnect. Pull the o-ring out with a pick tool and replace it. Should take you less the 5 mins and 2 bucks in parts.

Jeff

Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may get lucky and it be the male portion that leads to the manifold but not likely. It's typically the female part of the quick disconnect that is connected to the tank. The only pain about the fix is removing the pump/float assembly from the tank. It's like packing 10lb of "stuff" in a 5lb hole.
You can do it though, just take your time and be careful not to bend the float.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's an EZ-Flow Quick Disconnect (and i bet it is), Jeff is right. It's the o-ring seal on the male end. EX-Flow is out of business now so you may have to get creative to figure out what size you need, but generally speaking it's a pretty easy fix.

Worst case, just replace it with a slingle piece of 5/16 neopreme fuel line.

I would not ride it either.... something about spilling fuel on that front exhaust pipe, right at the head, that I'm not totally cool with.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I'm reading here.................it has nothing to do with the crossover line at the front of the tank. He's talking about the connection on the left side of the tank that goes to the throttle body. Take it apart and make sure it looks OK........sometimes they just need to be reset and they seal up fine.

Last week I finished up 2 builds, and both bikes leaked at first from the quick-disconnects when first fired up. I took the connection apart, put it back together and they were both fine. Maybe put a little Vaseline on the male connection so it will slide into the female connection a little easier and seat with the o-ring in there.

Steve

Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
damnitj
Advanced

So PhilM, If I am following you, you can simply get rid of both disconnect ends and go straight from the tank with a hose that you described? So in essence I would not have the fancy hardware there, just hose to hose.