Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schadenfreude - enjoying others misfortune

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 AM
smokin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Schadenfreude - enjoying others misfortune

If so, you'll like this !
Decided to take the leather Road King bags back off the SG for awhile and go with the White factory bags. You need to slighly loosen the bag mounts, as the leather and hard bags are not exactly the same. While backing off one of the rear mounts, the small 7/16bolt came off in my hand? Turns out the captured nut on the back fender vertical mount is stripped and worthless. Jury rigged a bolt from the bag to the detachable assem. so I can at least ride up to the dealer to get it fixed. Virtually impossible to get to the stipped nut without taking a whole lot of stuff off that side. Great.
Thought you'd enjoy!
Anone else had this particular brand of Harley excitement?
-Smokin

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM
captsam54
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Schadenfreude - enjoying others misfortune

I had a similar problem when putting my bag brackets back on after changing the pins to theft proof ones.. The nut for my rear left side just fell right out.. I was getting ready to pull my hair out and discovered I could get a thin stiff wire in there with the nut and the keeper bracket.. Saved me a bunch of time and trouble..!!..

Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

yeah, when i was doing the detachables install, i found out that the cage to capture that nut had broken on the right side so the damn nut just fell to the ground. damn if i could find a part number for it in the parts manual either... i got it back together by loosening the saddlebag rails, but it was a pain in the ***! if you notice, it is just a cheap nut. one of them square ones that cost about 2 cents at the local hardware store. made from really cheap metal and not designed for high torque.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM
smokin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you're telling me! What a great piece of engineering.
I'm stopping at the dealer today to have them order the piece so it's already there when I get the bike up.
Things running great right now. Stock '08 96 SG with Supertrapp SE slip ons, SEAC and the Nightrider IED's. Sounds good, 40 MPG, no de-acceleration POP, good response
GTG over all
Not nearly as fast as the '07 110 SE Springer I traded in but this one doesn't have the host of problems that the SE did - thank God
-Smokin